HTML,LONG,TIME,VOTE,PSC,Tutorial,Direct3D7,Re
Quick Search for:  in language:    
HTML,LONG,TIME,VOTE,PSC,Tutorial,Direct3D7,Re
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
RentACoder Stats

Code:  lines
 Jobs: 0 postings

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for RentACoder
Fax
By Barry Pranklin on 10/24

Container....an ownerdrawn frame control with rounded corners
By Eric... on 10/24

AS400 / DB2 Connection
By Shaji John on 10/24

TIFF scanner multipagina
By Jose R. on 10/24

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Code Viewer
By Just My Stuff on 10/24

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Simple 8bit Encryption
By George Vassilenko on 10/24

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!EuroDepth 2.0 (Now Handles 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 24(32), 24(64) bit depth's) SUPER FAST! See Screen Shot!
By James Dougherty on 10/24

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Database Grid
By chris.berry on 10/24

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Employee Taxes
By chris.berry on 10/24

(Screen Shot)

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

__Direct3D Tutorial [Updated]__

Print
Email

Submitted on: 1/1/2002 3:37:03 PM
By: Matt Carpenter 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 56 Users
Compatibility:

Users have accessed this article 12453 times.

(About the author)

A Tutorial on how to do Direct3D7 Retained Mode Graphics! HTML file and an example! Every line of code is commented and easy to understand. Begin making 3D Games with this article! I WORKED A LONG TIME ON THIS ARTICLE! If you like it, PLEASE VOTE FOR ME on PSC :) I am also planning on putting out a 3D flight simulator soon so keep lookin-

This article has accompanying files

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
Download the tutorial and example source code :) You may find this example really boring so make it more exciting your self. Try making a 3D maze! Or maybe a racing game! What? You don't have any clue how? You will if you read this tutorial!
After you read it:
1: Rate this- I'd like to hear what you think!
2: Make your own cool D3D Game

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzipto decompress it.

Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses,but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them.

FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

Other 20 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
1/1/2002 4:02:46 PM:Burbble
I get an Automation Error on this line: DD_Main.SetDisplayMode 640, 480, 32, 0, DDSDM_DEFAULT 'Set Resolution and BitDepth (Lets use 32-bit color)
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

1/1/2002 5:24:13 PM:Cool
1 Question How Did You Get That Comment To Come Up... If You Can Just Leave A Post That Would Be Great Thanks!! :) And It works Perfectally For Me!! Very Sweet.. Im Still Trying To Figure Out How To Make The Stairs And What Not How You Got It Those Colors and stuff Thanks Bye...Ace1DW1@Hotmail.Com
Reason:

1/1/2002 5:44:52 PM:Justin Pinkley
This is a great intro to 3D. Good work!
Reason:

1/1/2002 7:01:25 PM:Ace315
what program did you use to make the building.x file? and can this be easily converted to directX 8?
Reason:

1/1/2002 7:38:22 PM:Matt Carpenter
Ok, First answer, you may want to try a larger screen resolution, or maybe 16bit color. I used anim8or (www.anim8or.com) to make a 3DS File, then I used a converter to convert it to a directX file. It should be compatilbe with DX8 but I'm not sure.
Reason:

1/1/2002 8:03:48 PM:Ty
First off, I'd just love to applaud you. I think that you did an excellent job on creating this tutorial. Also, use of comments is great, and that makes the entire tutorial so much better!
Reason:

1/1/2002 10:30:35 PM:Matt Carpenter
Get what comment to come up? the one on the .zip file? click actions, then click 'comment' (if that was what you were asking)
Reason:

1/2/2002 2:33:13 AM:Ace1DW1
Yeah The Zip Comment... Ive looked.. THANK YOU SO MUCH... With Both
Reason:

1/2/2002 10:07:54 AM:Visualcode
I dont know if this will help but the screen shot looks great and ive wanted to learn 3d stuff for a long time ill give you 5
Reason:

1/2/2002 2:18:54 PM:Ace1DW1
Ive made This Big Sene With Anim8or And I Need To KNow How To Convert To Something Like Building.x??? Website??? Thanks Ace1DW1@hotmail.com
Reason:

1/2/2002 2:23:25 PM:Matt Carpenter
Search for a program called Conv3DS. Its a 1996 program by Microsoft. You use it to convert 3ds's to .x's.
Reason:

1/2/2002 3:25:10 PM:Ace1DW1
I Have Files Named .an8 umm I Used That Anim8or.exe Thing From The Website Above.... Im Clueless
Reason:

1/2/2002 3:29:15 PM:Ace1DW1
What.. I Went To Configure And Now What Do I Put In The 3 Boxes Sorry For Flooding
Reason:

1/2/2002 6:12:05 PM:Matt Carpenter
you have to go to 'objects' then go to 'export' then export your file as a 3DS. Then convert it using a free program you can find and dl called Conv3DS
Reason:

1/2/2002 6:13:14 PM:Matt Carpenter
it wont convert .an8 files. You have to export them as .3ds's
Reason:

1/2/2002 7:51:42 PM:Ace1DW1
How?
Reason:

1/2/2002 9:59:44 PM:Matt Carpenter
with anim8or up, click objects, then click export.
Reason:

1/2/2002 10:08:12 PM:Matt Carpenter
Well, about 900 ppls look at it, and only 8 rate it... Thanx to you that DID rate it :)
Reason:

1/3/2002 5:22:43 PM:Matt Carpenter
9, thanX!
Reason:

1/4/2002 1:46:31 AM:RicHagen
Nice work , but it's not cool to complain about the number of votes you receive
Reason:

1/4/2002 2:23:13 PM:Matt Carpenter
sorry, being 13 years old and able to win $200 software in one month, and all.. you get the point...
Reason:

1/13/2002 7:46:19 AM:Mark Withers
Don't boast about winning stuff... Ive won twice in two months in the past. Infact 3ds to X's was not only developed by Microsoft but a later version was made by Discreet. Developers of "Max studio 4" Conv3DS.exe Anyhow overall it was worth the download... the comenting was good, very basic Direct3D concept... using X files... Graphics not so good but easily improved. Try perhaps changing the rotation speed...I can't exactly remember but did you use Tan, Sin and Cos in this tutorial? Did you know that Conv3DS.exe "Convertor" can also change X files back into .3ds files... this helps when i'm using 3D studio max 4 to make scenes. I'd think this work deserves 4 Globes....
Reason:

1/17/2002 5:34:48 PM:Matt Carpenter
Whatever i say is the wrong thing to say...
Reason:

1/18/2002 2:12:18 AM:Hurrotisrobbo
Hey, don't bag out Matt here about the 'complaint' he made. It was perfectly justified #8) Stacks of people come here, download it, and not acknowledge who's made it... not that fair, ne? すごいのだ ! Good stuff, Matt, keep it up!
Reason:

1/28/2002 12:10:04 PM:Niels
Great tutorial, thanx for bringing this knowledge to the people :) You got my vote
Reason:

1/29/2002 11:26:59 AM:Maniac
Thanks MAtt. This is really cool.
Reason:

2/23/2002 5:35:51 PM:Creator of Legolas
I am 14, and Kind of inexperienced with VB. I haven't used the tutorial yet but I will. I will comment when I am done, but so far it sounds great!!!!!!!
Reason:

2/25/2002 4:57:54 PM:Roope
I even logged in to vote EXELENT for this, that should tell it all. (For beginners)
Reason:

2/28/2002 3:52:29 PM:Chris
This is great ! Have always be looking for this. 5 Stars !
Reason:

2/28/2002 9:47:42 PM:Chris
I would like to know how to Rotate the Camera Up, Not move it up. Thanks
Reason:

3/7/2002 2:30:18 PM:Frederico Machado
Hi! I really liked your tutorial, and I need your help with lights. Can you help me??? (I made a game with your tutorial, Direct3D 1st person game) it's on PSC
Reason:

3/12/2002 6:21:17 AM:<>
Chris: How to rotate camera. I think it goes something like this: <object>.AddRotation D3DRMCOMBINE_BEFORE, 1, 0, 0, Sin(5) (where <object> is ur camera (defined as a frame though...)
Reason:

3/12/2002 6:21:47 AM:<>
i am not sure if i did it right by the way,.,...
Reason:

3/12/2002 6:24:48 AM:<>
Well i think i am sure it wont work... it should look soomething like this (i think): <object>.AddRotation D3DRMCOMBINE_BEFORE, 0, 1, 0, Sin(5) the last part is the angle it rotates... ( ithink :))
Reason:

3/14/2002 8:47:11 PM:Pawnee20
very well done Matt. Been trying to find a way to use my 3d skills as well as my programming language skills to create a RPG. This tutorial really is simple to understand and covers all the basics (lights, frames, meshes). Keep up the good work. 5 stars from me! :-)
Reason:

3/25/2002 9:30:22 PM:Brain
Okay i get a run time error '-2005532527 (88760091)', if that means any thing to you. Any way, it dosen't do any thing and the line in question is
Reason:

3/25/2002 9:33:49 PM:Brain
Set D3D_Device = D3D_Main.CreateDeviceFromSurface("IID_ID irect3DHALDevice", DD_Main, DS_Back, D3DRMDEVICE_DEFAULT) Can you help me?
Reason:

4/9/2002 12:38:38 PM:Darksoft.net
Well done example. Easy to follow, and well commented. I have been looking for a very basic tutorial to start programming in 3d. This is a great start.
Reason:

5/2/2002 11:38:58 AM:Feing
Great 3d tutorial, i surfed the web for a long time for one like this.
Reason:

5/24/2002 6:07:40 AM:Paul A. Smith
ive looked for ages for such a tutorial... typed it all by hand(and it worked... ;-) ) cant wait to make my own programs... greetz Paul ps: 5* from me!!!
Reason:

6/5/2002 5:18:03 PM:mark
Thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge , it has already helped me alot. Gave ya five
Reason:

6/15/2002 5:21:47 AM:Nathan
very good 3d example lots of help, but what convertor do you use to convert th 3ds files to .x files?
Reason:

6/15/2002 7:22:57 AM:Nathan
me again i tried to add my own buildings to it (i made em in 3d studios max) and converted it to .x but when i start it nothin happens its just a white screen. plz help!
Reason:

7/16/2002 1:47:32 PM:coder86
Great tutorial, I hope to use DirectX for my PC emulator...
Reason:

7/16/2002 2:52:30 PM:Fred Shmurtz
This code is copied from Roel Janssen's 3D ship code also posted here, type '3d ship' in search.
Reason:

7/28/2002 7:00:20 PM:angry madman
fred is rite, the code is copied
Reason:

8/13/2002 8:25:15 PM:George Vassilenko
THANKS A LOT dude i dident know shir u gave ma a jump start on direct X ive edited your program oh yeah the resolution of the backround has to be smaller or = 320 * 240 for it to look right, i allso added a car and now im racing around the box hehe dont really care if u copied the code.
Reason:

8/26/2002 7:07:18 PM:Tim
is there any way to have something, that will hold were the camera position is in numbers (such as: dim xpos as single and then like have the xpos hold were the camera x position is?)
Reason:

8/26/2002 8:00:38 PM:Tim
(adding to my last comment above)... i need to have this so i can do something like: if the position = # then it does something
Reason:

8/31/2002 9:25:16 PM:Matthew Li (mazzanet)
tim, use vectors: Dim camvec as D3DVECTOR <cameraobject>.GetPosition Nothing, CamVec msgbox camvec.x msgbox camvec.y msgbox camvec.z
Reason:

9/1/2002 12:42:41 AM:
i get an automation error on: Set D3D_Device = D3D.CreateDeviceFromSurface("IID_IDirect 3DHALDevice", DD, BackSur, D3DRMDEVICE_DEFAULT) i tried changing it to RGBDevice but got the same (i don't have a 3d graphics card!!)
Reason:

9/1/2002 3:44:57 PM:
for
Reason:

9/1/2002 3:47:27 PM:
this is for matthew li... where do i put the <cameraobject>.GetPosition Nothing, CamVec msgbox camvec.x msgbox camvec.y msgbox camvec.z...... and is the <cameraobject>.GetPosition just: FR_Camera.GetPosition??
Reason:

9/3/2002 8:52:18 PM:
hey, forget the message before, i know how now...... but does anyone know how to have another mesh, & it will be able to move with the camera? (so i could make a character or something)
Reason:

9/27/2002 11:34:36 PM:
This is great!!! I give it 10 out of 10!
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | RentACoder Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.