Quick Search for:  in language:    
HTML,news,ticker,applet,takes,input,parameter
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Java/ Javascript Stats

Code: 220,465. lines
 Jobs: 92. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Java/ Javascript.
Click here to see a screenshot of this code!vok - The vocabulary trainer
By Thorsten Stärk on 1/7

(Screen Shot)

Java, Calculator
By Rockwell on 1/4

Eatable Interface
By Rockwell on 1/4

Superclass Person
By Rockwell on 1/4

Draws Cube Function
By Rockwell on 1/4

Rectangle Class
By Rockwell on 1/4

Find Number of Upper and Lower Case Letters in a Command Line Argument String
By Rockwell on 1/4

anagrams
By Rockwell on 1/4

Text Reader with Tokenizer
By Rockwell on 1/4

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

News Ticker Version 1.0.1

Print
Email

VB icon
Submitted on: 4/3/2002 2:45:39 PM
By: Randy McCleary 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 14 Users
Compatibility:Java (JDK 1.1)

Users have accessed this code 7913 times.

(About the author)

This is a news ticker applet. It takes input parameters from the HTML source and displays short text messages formated by the input parameters. This applet can be used to display sports scores, stock updates, short messages, news updates, up coming events, and ect...

HTML:

Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

//**************************************
//     
//HTML for :News Ticker Version 1.0.1
//     
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
HTML Test Page
</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<APPLET CODE="newsTicker.class" WIDTH=497 HEIGHT=23 ALIGN=bottom>
<PARAM NAME=regcode VALUE="nwt786">
<PARAM NAME=info VALUE="Author">
<PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=000000>
<PARAM NAME=fontcolor VALUE=FFFFF0>
<PARAM NAME="highlightcolor" VALUE=FF0000>
<PARAM NAME="delaytime" VALUE=2000>
<PARAM NAME="scrolldelay" VALUE=8>
<PARAM NAME="scrollspeed" VALUE=2>
<PARAM NAME="fonttype" VALUE=Arial>
<PARAM NAME="fontsize" VALUE=11>
<PARAM NAME="fontstyle" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="textalignment" VALUE=center>
<PARAM NAME="leftmargin" VALUE=10>
<PARAM NAME=text1 VALUE="Go to Planet-Source-Code.com today!!!">
<PARAM NAME=text2 VALUE="Check out RentACoder.com to find some quick and easy coding jobs.">
<PARAM NAME=text3 VALUE="Amazon.com Stock value will soon rise.">
<PARAM NAME=text4 VALUE="Now in stores - The Fast and the Furious - On DVD">
<PARAM NAME="target_frame" VALUE="_new">
</APPLET>
</BODY>
</HTML>
code:
Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

//     
// Name: News Ticker Version 1.0.1
// Description:This is a news ticker app
//     let. It takes input parameters from the 
//     HTML source and displays short text mess
//     ages formated by the input parameters. T
//     his applet can be used to display sports
//     scores, stock updates, short messages, n
//     ews updates, up coming events, and ect..
//     .
// By: Randy McCleary
//
//This code is copyrighted and has// limited warranties.Please see http://
//     www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/scripts/Sh
//     owCode.asp?txtCodeId=2791&lngWId;=2//for details.//**************************************
//     

//######################################
//     ##########
//Author:Randy McCleary
//File Name: newsTicker.java
//Program: News Ticker version 1.0.1
//######################################
//     ##########
//package Scroller;
import java.applet.Applet;
import java.applet.AppletContext;
import java.awt.*;
import java.io.PrintStream;
import java.net.URL;
import java.util.Enumeration;
import java.util.Vector;
import javax.swing.*;
public class newsTicker extends Applet
implements Runnable
    {
    int bgci; //Background Color Integer
    int fci;//Foreground Color Integer
    int fontsize; //Font Size
    int fontstyle; //Font Style 1,2,3(Bold,Italic,Both)
    int appWidth; //Stores the applet's Width
    int appHeight; //Stores the applet's Height
    int hlci; //Highlight Color Integer
    int tcount;//Counter
    int i; //Counter
    int delay_time;//Delay Time Between
    int scroll_delay; //Scroll Delay Time
    int scrollspeed;//Scroll Speed
    int fontHeight;//Font Height in points
    int appMiddle; //The middle section of the applet
    int uyu;//Delay Time
    int X; //Counter
    int curr; //Counter
    int mesafe;//Counter
    int cordx; //Coordinate X
    int cordY; //Coordinate Y
    int downtut;//Timer
    int tutX; //Timer
    int left_margin;//Left margin indent
    int metrik[]; //
    int duryer[]; //
    boolean reg;//Stores T/F for registration code
    boolean yan1; //
    boolean yan2; //
    boolean bd1;//Validate link one
    boolean bd2;//Validate link two
    Color bgcc;//Background Color (R,G,B)
    Color fcc; //Foreground Color
    Color hlcc;//Highlight Color
    String fonttype;//Font Type
    String text_alignment; //Font Alignment
    String target_frame;//Target Frame
    String infostr;//Info String ex: Author's Name
    String regcode;//Registration Code
    String strText = "";//String for Text
    String strLink = "";//String for Links
    String texts[];//Array for Text
    String links[];//Array for Links
    Font font; //The Font
    FontMetrics fmetrics; //The Font Metrics
    Graphics offScreeng;//Off screen graphics
    Graphics offbuff; //Off buffer graphics
    Image offscrimg;//Off screen image
    Image normi[]; //Normal Image Array
    Image hlighti[];//Highlight Image Array
    Thread runner; //The thread runner
    URL u; //Url links
    public void init()
        {
        X = 0;
        //Grab the input parameters: bgcolor, fo
        //     ntcolor, highlightcolor
        // and convert the hexidecimal to an int
        //     eger so it can be
        // converted to a color using the Red,Gr
        //     een, Blue format in Java.
        // The R,G,B range is 0,0,0 - 255,255,25
        //     5.
        try
            {
            bgci = Integer.parseInt(getParameter("bgcolor"), 16);
        }

catch(Exception _ex) { bgci = 0; }
try { fci = Integer.parseInt(getParameter("fontcolor"), 16); }
catch(Exception _ex) { fci = 0xffffff; }
try { hlci = Integer.parseInt(getParameter("highlightcolor"), 16); }
catch(Exception _ex) { hlci = 0; }
//Take the color integer and converts it // into a color using the // Red Green Blue format. bgcc = new Color(bgci); fcc = new Color(fci); hlcc = new Color(hlci); //Grab the input parameters info and reg // code from html file. //Both of these parameters are used to p // rotect the coder's work. //The info parameter would help keep the // Author's name in the HTML // source as a PARAM, the regcode value // must match the value // that is set below or it will display // a unregistered version // in the status bar. infostr = getParameter("info"); regcode = getParameter("regcode"); //Check the registration code value. // If it's not null compare the values t // o check if they match. // if they match it returns the value tr // ue, if not it returns false. if(regcode != null) { if(regcode.equals("nwt786")) { reg = true; }
else { reg = false; }
}
//If the registration code is null then // return false. else { reg = false; }
//Get the input parameters FontType,Font // Size, and FontStyle. // FontType is inputted as a string so i // ts easier than the others // FontSize has to be an integer, but ju // st using getParameter it //brings it in as a string, so use Integ // er.valueOf().intValue() //function to convert it to an integer, // FontStyle is the same. fonttype = getParameter("fonttype"); fontsize = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("fontsize")).intValue(); fontstyle = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("fontstyle")).intValue(); //Now to you have to create the font as // a new Font for java to use. // the Font consists of the FontType,Fon // tStyle,FontSize in that order. // After that you'll need to get the Fon // t Metrics. font = new Font(fonttype, fontstyle, fontsize); fmetrics = getFontMetrics(font); //Get the leftmargin parameter. left_margin = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("leftmargin")).intValue(); //Get the applet's width and height. appWidth = size().width; appHeight = size().height; //Get the targetframe and textalignment. // target_frame = getParameter("targetframe"); text_alignment = getParameter("textalignment"); Vector textVector = new Vector(); Vector linkVector = new Vector(); tcount = 0; //Do while loop to add the text and link // s to the vectors. do { tcount++; //Get the input parameters text+N and li // nk+N. // The numbers will start with 1 for exa // mple: // text1 and link1, text2 and link2. strText = getParameter("text" + tcount); strLink = getParameter("link" + tcount); if(strText == null) { tcount--; break; }
if(strText.equals("")) { tcount--; break; }
if(strLink == null) { strLink = ""; }
//Add text and links to the vectors linkVector.addElement(strLink); textVector.addElement(strText); } while(true);
//Create new string array for texts texts = new String[tcount + 1]; //Create new string array for texts links = new String[tcount + 1]; //Create new image array for normal text // normi = new Image[tcount + 1]; //Create new image array for highlighted // text hlighti = new Image[tcount + 1]; metrik = new int[tcount + 1]; duryer = new int[tcount + 1]; Enumeration enumeration = textVector.elements(); i = 0; while(enumeration.hasMoreElements()) { i++; texts[i] = (String)enumeration.nextElement(); //Display Info Parameter Error! if someo // ne has tried to remove // the author's name from the info PARAM // or tried to omit the // info PARAM in the HTML source. if(!infostr.equals("Author")) { texts[i] = "Info Parameter Error!!!"; }
}
Enumeration enumeration1 = linkVector.elements(); i = 0; while(enumeration1.hasMoreElements()) { i++; links[i] = (String)enumeration1.nextElement(); }
//Get the parameters delaytime, scrollde // lay, and scrollspeed and // convert them to integers. delay_time = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("delaytime")).intValue(); scroll_delay = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("scrolldelay")).intValue(); scrollspeed = Integer.valueOf(getParameter("scrollspeed")).intValue(); //uyu = delay_time; //Get the height of the font in points. fontHeight = fmetrics.getHeight (); //Finds the difference from the applet's // height and the font's height // and divided by 2, so the text can be // centered in the applet. appMiddle = (appHeight - fontHeight) / 2; for(i = 1; i <= tcount; i++) { metrik[i] = fmetrics.stringWidth(texts[i]); normi[i] = createImage(metrik[i], appHeight); hlighti[i] = createImage(metrik[i], appHeight); if(text_alignment.equals("center")) { duryer[i] = (appWidth - metrik[i]) / 2; }
else { duryer[i] = left_margin; }
//Create the normal view of the text, se // t the font, the font color, // fill the rectangle, set the foregroun // d color and draw the text. offbuff = normi[i].getGraphics(); offbuff.setFont(font); offbuff.setColor(bgcc); offbuff.fillRect(0, 0, metrik[i], appHeight); offbuff.setColor(fcc); offbuff.drawString(texts[i], 0, appMiddle + fmetrics.getAscent()); offbuff = null; //Create the highlighted view of the tex // t.set the font, the font color, // fill the rectangle, set the foregroun // d color and draw the text. // This is on mouse over. Only works if // there's a link being used. offbuff = hlighti[i].getGraphics(); offbuff.setFont(font); offbuff.setColor(bgcc); offbuff.fillRect(0, 0, metrik[i], appHeight); offbuff.setColor(hlcc); offbuff.drawString(texts[i], 0, appMiddle + fmetrics.getAscent()); }
//Make sure the graphics buffer is empty // if(offbuff != null) { offbuff.dispose(); }
//Create the off screen image to be scro // lled next. offscrimg = createImage(appWidth, appHeight); offScreeng = offscrimg.getGraphics(); offScreeng.setColor(bgcc); offScreeng.fillRect(0, 0, appWidth, appHeight); curr = 0; cordx = -1; cordY = -1; X = 10; if(tcount > 0) { X = duryer[1]; }
mesafe = 0; } // End of init()
public void update(Graphics g) { paint(g); }
public void paint(Graphics g) { g.drawImage(offscrimg, 0, 0, this); }
public boolean mouseDown(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
else { stop(); downtut = j; tutX = X; return true; }
} //End of mouseDown()
public boolean mouseUp(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
isle(); kur(); start(); try { if(yan1) { u = new URL(links[curr]); getAppletContext().showDocument(u, target_frame); }
if(yan2) { u = new URL(links[curr % tcount + 1]); getAppletContext().showDocument(u, target_frame); }
}
catch(Exception _ex) { System.out.println("url error!"); }
return true; } // End of mouseUp()
public boolean mouseMove(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
else { cordx = j; cordY = k; buildLinks(cordx, cordY); return true; }
} //End of mouseMove()
public boolean mouseDrag(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
else { cordx = j; cordY = k; X = (tutX + j) - downtut; offScreeng.fillRect(0, 0, appWidth, appHeight); kur(); buildLinks(j, k); paintFunction(); return true; }
} //End of mouseDrag()
public boolean mouseEnter(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
//If if registration code is not true th // en display the status bar message. if(!reg) { showStatus("This is an unregistered version of newsticker Java applet"); }
return true; } // End of mouseEnter()
public boolean mouseExit(Event event, int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return true; }
yan1 = false; yan2 = false; cordx = -1; cordY = -1; buildLinks(cordx, cordY); paintFunction(); repaint(); showStatus(""); //If if registration code is not true th // en display the status bar message. if(!reg) { showStatus("This is an unregistered version of newsticker Java applet"); }
return true; } // End of mouseExit()
public void start() { if(runner == null || !runner.isAlive()) { runner = new Thread(this); }
runner.start(); } // End of start()
public void stop() { if(runner != null && runner.isAlive()) { runner.stop(); }
} //End of stop()
public void destroy() { runner = null; } // End of destroy()
public void buildLinks(int j, int k) { if(tcount < 1) { return; }
if(j < X) { yan1 = false; yan2 = false; }
if(j >= 0 && j >= X && j <= X + metrik[curr]) { if(links[curr] != null) { if(links[curr].startsWith("http://")) { yan1 = true; }
else { yan1 = false; }
}
else { yan1 = false; }
yan2 = false; }
if(j > X + metrik[curr] && j < X + metrik[curr] + mesafe) { yan1 = false; yan2 = false; }
if(j >= 0 && j >= X + metrik[curr] + mesafe && j <= X + metrik[curr] + mesafe + metrik[curr % tcount + 1]) { yan1 = false; if(links[curr % tcount + 1] != null) { if(links[curr % tcount + 1].startsWith("http://")) { yan2 = true; }
else { yan2 = false; }
}
else { yan2 = false; }
}
if(j >= 0 && j > X + metrik[curr] + mesafe + metrik[curr % tcount + 1]) { yan1 = false; yan2 = false; }
if(bd1 != yan1 || bd2 != yan2) { if(yan1 || yan2) { ((Frame)getParent()).setCursor(12); if(yan1) { if(links[curr] != null) { if(links[curr].startsWith("http://")) { showStatus("" + links[curr]); }
else { showStatus(""); }
}
else { showStatus(""); }
}
if(yan2) { if(links[curr % tcount + 1] != null) { if(links[curr % tcount + 1].startsWith("http://")) { showStatus("" + links[curr % tcount + 1]); }
else { showStatus(""); }
}
else { showStatus(""); }
}
}
else { ((Frame)getParent()).setCursor(0); showStatus(""); }
paintFunction(); }
} // End of buildLinks(int,int)
public void paintFunction() { //Check to see if the current link is no // t null if(links[curr] != null) { //Check to see if link starts with http: // if(yan1 && links[curr].startsWith("http://")) { //Draw next off screen highlighted image // offScreeng.drawImage(hlighti[curr], X, 0, this); bd1 = true; }
else { //Draw next off screen normal image offScreeng.drawImage(normi[curr], X, 0, this); bd1 = false; }
}
//If the links[curr] is null else { offScreeng.drawImage(normi[curr], X, 0, this); bd1 = false; }
if(links[curr % tcount + 1] != null) { if(yan2 && links[curr % tcount + 1].startsWith("http://")) { offScreeng.drawImage(hlighti[curr % tcount + 1], X + mesafe + metrik[curr], 0, this); bd2 = true; }
else { offScreeng.drawImage(normi[curr % tcount + 1], X + mesafe + metrik[curr], 0, this); bd2 = false; }
}
else { offScreeng.drawImage(normi[curr % tcount + 1], X + mesafe + metrik[curr], 0, this); bd2 = false; }
repaint(); } // End of paintFunction()
public void isle() { uyu = scroll_delay; X = X - scrollspeed; }
public void kur() { if(X + metrik[curr] + mesafe <= duryer[curr % tcount + 1]) { curr++; uyu = delay_time; if(curr > tcount || curr == 0) { curr = 1; }
if(metrik[curr] >= metrik[curr % tcount + 1]) { mesafe = duryer[curr % tcount + 1] + duryer[curr]; }
else { mesafe = duryer[curr % tcount + 1] + duryer[curr]; }
if(!text_alignment.equals("center")) { mesafe = appWidth - metrik[curr] - 10; }
X = duryer[curr]; tutX = X; downtut = cordx; }
else { if(X > duryer[curr]) { curr--; if(curr == 0) { curr = tcount; }
if(metrik[curr] >= metrik[curr % tcount + 1]) { mesafe = duryer[curr % tcount + 1] + duryer[curr]; }
else { mesafe = duryer[curr % tcount + 1] + duryer[curr]; }
if(!text_alignment.equals("center")) { mesafe = appWidth - metrik[curr] - 10; }
X = X - mesafe - metrik[curr]; tutX = X; downtut = cordx; }
}
offScreeng.fillRect(0, 0, appWidth, appHeight); } // End of kur()
public void run() { //If if registration code is not true th // en display the status bar message. if(!reg) { showStatus("This is an unregistered version of newsticker Java applet"); }
if(tcount < 1) { return; }
do { isle(); kur(); buildLinks(cordx, cordY); paintFunction(); try { Thread.sleep(uyu); }
catch(InterruptedException interruptedexception) { interruptedexception.printStackTrace(); }
} while(true);
} //End of run()
public newsTicker() { //Default values curr = 1; cordx = -1; cordY = -1; downtut = -1; left_margin = 10; fonttype = "Courier"; text_alignment = "left"; target_frame = ""; infostr = ""; regcode = ""; reg = false; yan1 = false; yan2 = false; bd1 = false; bd2 = false; } // End of newsTicker()
}

Other 9 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this code(in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
4/3/2002 4:39:50 PM:louis1979
I like you code. Very easy to read and 
you have lots of comments. You got 5 
globes from me. Good luck.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

4/8/2002 4:07:37 AM:hot18mnorman
Dude this rocks and is totally awesome 
thanks for sharing it with all of on 
this site.
Reason:

4/12/2002 5:22:21 AM:Tailgunner
cool applet. looks like a hard & well 
piece of work. keep it up.
Reason:

4/26/2002 4:19:45 PM:Neo
The code is good.
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this code has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Java/ Javascript Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.