Security,issues,using,include,files
Quick Search for:  in language:    
Security,issues,using,include,files
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
PHP Stats

Code: 80,126 lines
 Jobs: 5 postings

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for PHP.
Number of visitors on line
By Bossman on 11/26

Bookmark without database
By Bossman on 11/25

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Dynamic File/Menu addon
By Jody Jacoby on 11/23

(Screen Shot)

IP Logger / Traffic Log
By Kyle Shannon on 11/23

php payday calculator
By Sam999 on 11/22

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A ( part5 ) Powerful php code for Generating Progress Bar
By James Smith Kelleher on 11/22

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A ( part4 ) Powerful php code Best and Easy File Upload Program

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A ( part2 ) Powerful php code Authenticates User , Maintains Security and Mails Administrator

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A ( part1 ) Powerful php code to send HTML Format Emails

(Screen Shot)

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

An Important Note About .inc Files

Print
Email

Submitted on: 10/9/2002 4:51:01 PM
By: Charles Chadwick  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 5 Users
Compatibility:PHP 3.0, PHP 4.0

Users have accessed this article 2556 times.

(About the author)

Security issues using ".inc" include files.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
An Important Note About .inc Files

This is just a quick note about using include files with the ".inc" file extension. This doesn't apply to JUST PHP, but the web in general. I am posting this here in the PHP section because that is the server side language that I use, and I have noticed an abundance of ".inc" files in various projects throughout PSC.

For those who don't know, ".inc" files are nothing more than a file that generally contains information that you would need to access from various scripts on a site. Most often, they are a time saving way of storing certain variables. A primary example is Login/Passwords for database connections. This way, if you change the login/pass for the database, you only need to update one file.

The problem is, however, that the contents of ".inc" can be viewed in a browser by simply typing in the path. So anyone who knew the path of your include file could easily find out information that you probably didn't want them to know. Now, to those who aren't all that concerned with security, this may not seem a big issue. However, for the more paranoid among us, it is an issue.

I'm not sure if this applies to all platforms. The server I use runs Apache on Slackware, and the SysOp is a pretty security conscious person. Also, it could vary well be just an IE6 thing, as I have not had a chance to test this in any other browser. However, I thought I would make the uninformed among you aware of this.

The best way to get around this is to simply change the file extension to ".php" (or whatever language your using). It's that easy. Don't let your information be compromised.

Other 4 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
10/10/2002 1:12:16 AM:Dustin R Davis
I never use .inc extention, you can get the same result with php extention. or asp for that matter or whatever else. Personally i would think this should be common sense among web developers. But, i guess most of PSC coders are "coding for fun" and not for proffesional status. I my self am a web developer and that is my job, so I am a little cautios about what i do. good point to bring up though.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

10/10/2002 2:40:55 AM:Darryl Porter
Yes, this is something that a lot of people do and is not address. This is a huge security risk. Thanks for putting it out there. You can see the .inc file using any browser on any system--Don't take my word on this, but I've never had a problem acessing one if I knew the path to it.
Reason:

10/10/2002 8:40:17 AM:
you can also configure the server to parse inc files instead.(just like asp and php pages) This is a common security setting.
Reason:

10/10/2002 3:02:45 PM:Charles Chadwick
I agree with you completely, Dustin. A lot of people are just coding for fun, which is fine, but they should be aware none the less. After all, I started out coding for fun, and it turned into an occupation.
Reason:

10/10/2002 3:12:31 PM:Rob t.H.
I agree with you all, I just call those functions foobar.inc.php. And if I can I place files with passwords out of my webroot so they can't be accessed using a web browser. Another tip is to surround your script with <!-- script --> to make the code invisible in the browser in case of an PHP crash
Reason:

10/11/2002 11:20:08 AM:
asd
Reason:

10/11/2002 11:23:23 AM:
Same here! Had to keep the files with passwords too! Found out that anybody can dl the php files just by creatin a dummy html file(even in their HDs) with a link to the php file, when clicked the browser will show the open or save dialog box...
Reason:

10/11/2002 5:24:50 PM:
.inc files are so risky. 'cause is some easily can read what content a .inc file.!!! i am using .php or .inc.php everytime.. i have get a site's some password that needed for something ... :)
Reason:

10/12/2002 5:31:32 AM:Merlin Corey
... then again, password and such should be saved in a database of some kind (such as mySQL) anyway... If you have a file extension that you use that isn't being interpreted, you should add it as the one person said... Any file on any website that does not have a pre-set interpreter is viewable by any website as plain text (yes, even
Reason:

10/12/2002 5:33:28 AM:Merlin Corey
[continuing] yes, even ".bla" files)... However, the ".inc" file is not really that insecure - it is "security through obscurity"... No one should know the full filename anyway (this doesn't apply if you have apache set to display directory contents when no index is found)... Downloading an interpreted file through HTTP does *not* give you the uninterpreted version...
Reason:

10/12/2002 5:34:36 AM:Merlin Corey
"viewable by any website" = "viewable by any webbrowser"
Reason:

10/12/2002 11:55:38 AM:
I kindda do it from the other way round, ie, "inc.config.php" and inside that, have a bit of code, where if a cirtain var does'nt exist, it'll echo something loads of times. So, when including, it'll be something like <? require "inc.config.php?There_is_no_way_in_the_w orld_ill_use_this_var=123654789"; ?> and if it's missing, then all you'll get is spam.
Reason:

10/14/2002 3:18:58 AM:magikh0e
You could also put the .inc outside of the webserver path.. Or if using apapche make a .htaccess for the dir they are in
Reason:

10/14/2002 10:54:05 AM:VPUCEO
Since I have my server configured to interpret '.inc' as PHP, i put this code at the top of every include: if(eregi(
Reason:

10/14/2002 10:55:44 AM:VPUCEO
Since I have my server configured to interpret '.inc' as PHP, i put this code at the top of every include: if(eregi([INC FILE NAME],$REQUEST_URI)) { die(); } With this code, you can include it but you can't access it directly. Since the user is accessing the include thru another page, it doesn't trigger the above code. it only triggers if the user tries to open the INC file directly. Hope this helps
Reason:

10/14/2002 1:04:35 PM:Martin C. Conniffe
It's about time someone aside from me noticed that :) I have for a while now found a way around it by doing two things. On MY sites, I have a dir called srv outside the public_html dir so noone outside the server can access it, and for my users who may not care as much, I have my apache setup to not allow anyone to get .inc files (so if a user _wants_ to make an inc file available to the general public, they have to call it .inc.txt). I never considered changing them to .php but that does work just as well :)
Reason:

10/14/2002 1:44:33 PM:TheGeek
So what if I do all this, but I don't have access to the server root (Apache running on a Linux server)? I can't really stick my .inc files in /usr/dude. I tried creating a dummy folder named similar to the cgi_bin dir.... The apache config didn't like this. Any ideas on using .htaccess? I've never researched it.... thnx
Reason:

10/23/2002 3:46:51 PM:Tommy
I use .inc files all the time, many of which do store very sensitive data. I've gotten around the security issue by creating a folder, "inc", and placing the files there. Inside that folder, there's a file, .htaccess, which contains solely the line "deny from all". This allow scripts to access the files, but not visitors. Enjoy!
Reason:

10/24/2002 3:35:23 PM:
I am running IIS5 and have the same issue. I have got around it though by putting the files in a seperate "INC" directory and removing permission to the IUSR & IWAM (IIS anonymous accounts)... apparently IIS uses the System account to read the files.
Reason:

10/24/2002 6:07:50 PM:
or deny listings for an /inc directory so if someone does try to view the files, they cannot get to the directory.. You can do this with apache..
Reason:

10/26/2002 3:02:07 PM:
Maybe you should try some Exploiters on your sites.
Reason:

10/28/2002 5:29:03 AM:

Oh please thats not a security risk if dick wads configure their .htaccess properly they can restrict access to all *.inc files making it impossible for people to view them.
Reason:

10/28/2002 5:08:21 PM:galantz
Yeah, well there's a lot of "d#ck w#ds", goto your favorite search engine and search for "ODBC conn.inc", you will literally see hundreds of hits. For several years, I would make money by finding people with database connections to their databases that contain private information (yes sometimes customer credit card numbers) and would contact their IT for consulation fees... I think I cleared nearly 20,000USD with this "oversite" of "d#ck w#ds" so instead of "bitching" learn to milk it!!! :-)
Reason:

11/1/2002 10:19:40 AM:James Mistry
There is one problem though - you can use leeching software like GoZilla (yes, I know it's a download manager as well) to download PHP files.
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | PHP Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.