Quick Search for:  in language:    
version,with,control,volume,channels,audioHel
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,008,557. lines
 Jobs: 115. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Click here to see a screenshot of this code!MaTRiX ReVoLuTioNS CouNTDoWN
By UrT_CaRNaGe on 6/26

(Screen Shot)

DX7 Error logging
By Joel Webster on 6/26

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Laser Ray Particle Effects
By polaris on 6/26

(Screen Shot)

Common Dialog For n00bs
By FuRiOuS1 on 6/26

Send Messages over network
By Majordad on 6/26

Multithreaded INTERNET DOWNLOADER
By VF-fCRO on 6/26

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A Complete Secure Login Program With User Management And Some Database Utilities
By Masino Sinaga on 6/26

(Screen Shot)

The Shatona Paint
By Robert Bequette on 6/26

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Operation Wake Up
By Zack Meier on 6/26

(Screen Shot)

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Forget Controls MultiMedia. Now By API Support DVD Video Version 6.1

Print
Email

Submitted on: 7/15/2000 2:18:20 AM
By: Abdullah Al-Ahdal 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 145 Users
Compatibility:VB 5.0, VB 6.0

Users have accessed this article 68265 times.

(New version, now version 6.1 with control volume channels audio) Hello, You can here make Controls for audio,video and midi files just by pure Windows API. you can open,play,pause,resume,stop,close,make control for audio channels,Get Progress,Get Total Time,Get Total frames,Get Number frames per second,SetAutoRepeat,GetCurrent frame (Get current position),Get cuurent time,Get Actual size,Get Current Size,resize the movie,SetDefaultDevice,let you at the end of file..for all types Multimedia qt,mov, dat,snd, mpg, mpa, mpv, enc, m1v, mp2,mp3, mpe, mpeg, mpm au,snd, aif, aiff, aifc,wav,avi,mid,rmi,(and *.vob this format for dvd video)...etc.

This article has accompanying files

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
Are you Sure wanna using API to Playing video or audio files and forget ocx?

Wow

Version 6.1

Are you Sure wanna using Windows API to Playing video *.dat) or audio (including (including *.mpg and *.mp3) or Midi files and forget ocx?
Then Download this source.

I know the Controls like MCI32.ocx, ActiveMovie and Media player can do this but the control have disadvantages like it size about more than 90 kb,but now your program just will increased 6 kilo bytes(this size of the Module) and not take system resources.

Note : This source code Support DVD's Video if you had VGA Card Support DVD like ATI RAGE II Or All in Wonder 128.

Please reRead the description for Function OpenMultimedia in the Module or in the form(This simple update for version 5.0)

Advantages for this Source Code

1-This code Just use Windows API calls (no ocx) ,no install new dll.

2-This code work useful for Windows98,Windows 2000 and Windows NT without installing any other programs.

3-It has ready functions in the Module or Dll for Standerd use just for
copy and paste in your own projects

4-More faster than WinAmp and Xing Mpeg in playing and viewing Movie.

5-It can playing all Multimedia files by less lines included mp3,mpg,avi,wav..etc.

6-It has the most controls for multimedia files(keep on reading the page and you will know the controls).

7-It can open all movie files.

8-It have descriptions.

9-It Include four Sources in the zip (three for vb and dll in C++).

10-It for all Levels (advanced - intermediate - beginner).

11-very easy (read the code carefully).

12-Others (keep on reading this page).

This code Updated to be more well Download it again

Please reRead the descriptions for function OpenMultimedia in the form or in the Module.

Version 6.1

Special thanks to "Hans de Vries" For Notice me about bug when playing rmi files in some computers (it was repaired).

Version 6.0

For request Members planet-source-code I add four Functions:

1-Two Functions to deal with volume audio for every channel(left or right) or the the both:

one to get volume for every channel audio and the another to set volume for every channel or the both.

NOTE: Contolling with volume for every Multimedia file not for all Multimedia files(not like Mixer windows).

2-Two Functions to deal with Rate playing Multimedia file (one to increase speed playing or decrease speed playing and the another to get current Rate).

NOTE: Contolling with Rate for every Multimedia file not for all Multimedia files.

Via this version you can watch a movie file and also playing mp3 file at the same time and decrease the volume for mp3 in one channel or the both.

See the screenshot.

Good luke.

Version 5.0

1-In this version there were common errors in Windows 2000 was repaired (now the code useful for win2000).

2-I added Function for Channels Audio Control (see the screenshot).

What the Advantages for this Update?

you can here play on Left channel audio file and on right channel another audio file at the same time Or:

play the file two times at the same time one on the left and the another on the right.

Click on buttons "Demo" to see some effect by this way.

Note: you must Extract all files from the zip.

Good luke.

(Update IIII)

there were some common errors in Windows NT4 was repaired (Special thanks to Alex for notice me)

and I added function for request memebers to get the actual size and current size.

Note the update just in source "MultiMedia Contoller"

(Update III)

I added the source code which sent to MSDN library and it Update for previous version from "Pure API".

What the Advantages for this Update?

It can open more than one Multimedia file at the same time and play it .

e.g.

(you can play more than one mp3 or movie at the same time).

Important note: You can play a lot files at same time if it from type "MPEGVideo" this mean just the following types you can play it altogther :

qt,mov, dat,snd, mpg, mpa, mpv, enc, m1v, mp2,mp3, mpe, mpeg, mpm au,snd, aif, aiff, aifc,wav,,etc.

and the following types can not play altogether :

mid,rmi,avi. becsause the sound card will be busy.

anyway most peoples using mpg,dat,mov,etc for the movie and mp3,mp2,mp1,wav,etc for the audio and if you have movie (avi) you can convert it to mpg ,dat ,mov or any other mpegs types and play it altogther.

if you wanna the ways to convert avi to mpegs types please contact to me at : a_ahdal@yahoo.com

this will benefit you if you wanna make some simple games,,etc.

see the picture in this page to show the program.

(UPDATE II)

I added two Functions one to Get Frames per Second

and the Another to let you know if the File Multimedia at the End (this benefit you if you wanna play a list of Multimedia Files).

(UPDATE I)

You can by this update to open any file even have spaces.(Special Thanks to Janet)

And I added two Functions to repair any problem will met you if you used Xing Mpeg Drivers.

You can here Play all MultiMeida Files by Pure API

in first if you wanna playing these types:
qt , mov, dat,snd, mpg, mpa, mpv, enc, m1v, mp2,mp3, mpe, mpeg, mpm
au , snd, aif, aiff, aifc,wav.
The Secret is:
You Must use when you write Command To MCI by Function
mciSendString write like this :
open c:\myfile type MpegVideo .......etc
note: we written "MpegVideo" as a type
and we will written
open c:\myfile type AviVideo .......etc
if we wanna opening avi files
I got this info "MPEGVideo" for how you can plays MPEGs types from my experinace when
I openned file system.ini and I saw the section of MCI like this:
extensions Type extensions Type
snd MPEGVideo Mid Sequencer
qt MPEGVideo rmi MPEGVideo
dat MPEGVideo wav waveaudio
mpg MPEGVideo avi AVIVideo
mpeg MPEGVideo cda CDAudio
mpe MPEGVideo aif MPEGVideo
mpa MPEGVideo aiff MPEGVideo
mp2 MPEGVideo aifc MPEGVideo
mov MPEGVideo m1v MPEGVideo
au MPEGVideo vob (DVD) MPEGVideo

this mean if you wanna open mpg or dat file you will choose
type "MpegVideo"
and if you wanna open avi Files you will choose type "AviVideo"
And Remember Dealing with type "MpegVideo" like dealing with type
"AviVedio"
You can also found this info I downloaded it in a Complete program in planet source in the past
Under Name "
MPEG Viewer" to playing video in any place you want for e.g. in your Desktop.
anyway maybe you will say now I wanna a standard commands in a module or dll to dealing with
"MpegVideo" and other types like :

1-Open most multimmedia files
2-Playing it

3-Pause it

4- Stop it

5-Resume it

6-Close it

7-Get Current position(current frame)

8-Get current time

9-Get Percent of playing file

10-make it auto Repeat

11-Get Total frames

12- Get Total Time

13-Get the Status of file if it "playing or stopped or paused"

14-Get actual size (new).

15-Get current size (new).

16-Resize the movie.

17-Get number frames per second

18-let you know if multimedia at the end now.

19-Get current Rate.(new)

20-increase or decrease rate playing.(new)

21-Get current volume for every channel (left or right) or the both.(new)

22-Set volume for every channel (left or right) or the both.(new)

23- turn off or turn on every channel or the both.(new)

You have three ways to doing this:
1-if you are using VB and wanna uses module in your code and calling the functions from it (this option is the best for you).the exe are "Multimedia Controller.exe" and "Pure API.exe"

2-if you are using VB and wanna uses library dll made by C++ to calling functions the exe is "calldll.exe".

3-if you are using VC++ and wanna calling functions from dll or copy and paste the functons in your projects.(well option for who using VC++)

Note there are Update III which sent to MSDN library under name "Multimedia Controller"

Please Download the code and read it carefully

Note: I downloaded the source of the dll.

if you are wanna using the module you can calling the functions from the Module without using the dll.

if you are advanced you can read the dll and the module or if you are
Beginner just copy and paste the module in your project and just know how you can calling the functions(very easy for all levels Advanced -Intermediate-Beginner).
Note : I written the DLL in C++ and the Module in Visual basic for Planet-Source Specially and for standard use and you can Develop it,but please send to me a copy:).

Note all Multimedia extensions you can play it

You have in Module and dll a standard Functions for all users to Do what you want in Multimedia(commands
very easy, any one can use it)

I Think You will never use any controls for Multimedia If you Downloaded This Code.

I think you while reading the source you will forget vote me , don't forget=:)Okay?.

Enjoy

Nice Example

Download Sample Movie

Run the program and Select the Movie which you downloaded it

1-Click on button "open" and

2-write in textbox "from" Value "20"

3-write in textbox "to" Value "70"

4-Click on button "play"

5-Set check auto repeat true

This Example will let the movie played from frame number 20 to frame number 70

Listen the Songer will say "Think in love" (just). :).

if you want to play the file from beginning to end remove any value from testbox "from"

and textbox "to" .Enjoy :)

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzipto decompress it.

Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses,but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them.

FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
3)Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

Other 8 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
7/15/2000 7:15:27 PM:Chris Gerber
Great code man!!! I was actually workin on this kind of program for a week now...and I guess I was thinking the same thing cuz mine is almost the same as yours, well the main parts. Again, Great code! Keep up the good work! Hey, u know how to add in your own audio effects? Kinda like in WinAmp. I've been toying with that idea for a while now...but no success. Could u help me?
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

7/15/2000 9:21:09 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
thank you Chris Gerber okay,for Your request I will do research for you,But please tell your e-mail for contacting in future. My e-mail: a_ahdal@yahoo.com
Reason:

7/17/2000 2:34:03 AM:Mack 10
great code i love the way it works great job, not many people can do such work. good job
Reason:

7/17/2000 6:32:42 AM:Kristof
Excellent code, man. Say, would you by any chance also know the code for an mp3-encoder ? If not, still great program. My e-mail: k_torfs@hotmail.com
Reason:

7/17/2000 8:51:36 AM:bwsoft
Looks good. Hey, do you know how to set the callback to get notification when a playing midi has reached the end (not looped) so the program can start another? Been looking for that for a while now...
Reason:

7/17/2000 10:22:48 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hello Kristof the mp3-encoder was downloaded in planet source by Ultimatum at this link: http://www.planet-source-code.com /vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?lngWId=3&txtCod eId=402
Reason:

7/17/2000 10:26:04 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Okay bwsoft , You have a lot ways to know if the Playing at the of the file like you can get a current frame and compare it with a last frame in a timer and if the result of compare true you will have a ready Function to do what you want after line compare. Anyway I will Updated the code soon (and I will let you know that) to Include Function Callback more Easly.
Reason:

7/18/2000 12:02:19 AM:VBGuru
This is Great! Can't wait to plug it in and run it through the gauntlet of my code to see what happens...
Reason:

7/19/2000 11:42:13 PM:vblukey
Wow wow I'm not saw like this code I have clean copy from windows98 and windows2000, your code work very well. you put in this code full control because of this I must vote for you. Good Job man
Reason:

7/20/2000 12:42:56 AM:DataWipe
Hey Great Code!!! It really works even in Windows 2000!!! I was looking for a code like this for months! I was wondering... would you by any chance know the code for broadcasting streaming video over the net? Both server and client side? If you know or can help me in any way contact me at datawipe@yahoo.com Thanx :)
Reason:

7/20/2000 1:15:31 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
yeah DataWipe, This code work in Windows 2000 and Windows 98 without installing any other programs and it faster than WinAmp and Xing MPEG in playing and Viewing Movie. I will contact to you for your request by e-mail.
Reason:

7/20/2000 5:43:44 AM:SoftTech Corp
Do you know how to add a visual effacts, a graphic equlizer or something
Reason:

7/20/2000 9:57:53 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
I'm now in away to doing some effacts by DirectX. any way send to me your e-mail at:a_ahdal@yahoo.com
Reason:

7/20/2000 10:01:41 AM:hnguyen
It's great! It can be use like a tutorial/trainning in this field. Keep up your good work and thank you so much.
Reason:

7/20/2000 2:18:08 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Oh, I forget telling members. the MSDN library not Contain Example for how you can Playing MPEG by Pure API(this code). Just there are (in MSDN) how you can playing AVI,sequencer,CDAudio,,etc. Remember I'm wrriten this new info for you (for Planet Source) Note: I'm Sent this info to MSDN Library. Enjoy
Reason:

7/24/2000 3:00:56 AM:FireBot
This code made the music glitch, like on the radio. Winamp does a much better job and I'll be sticking with Winamp. Also... this needs an EQ badly.
Reason:

7/24/2000 3:32:50 PM:Justin
This is nice code. Firebot, you need to respect the effort and time he put into this example instead of putting it down. Very well done
Reason:

7/24/2000 11:28:12 PM:vblukey
FireBot Why you want to put this code down and vote by pure. your vote must be excellent. this is a great code and it did which a lot persons can not do. Thank you Abdullah for Update III its realy cool. I think you will be programmer at microsoft.
Reason:

7/25/2000 12:27:53 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
thank you vblukey. sorry vblukey you have an error in your comment you mean poor not pure this will change the meaning :). Oh, how you know my aim (working at microsoft).
Reason:

7/25/2000 4:44:44 AM:El Pimalubadachi
Great code! May I use this code in a program that I will distribute for free?
Reason:

7/25/2000 4:51:37 AM:Justin
bravo, bravo
Reason:

7/25/2000 6:13:16 AM:FireBot
I didn't mean, as you say 'putting it down' I was mearly stating the bad side-effects. If it had an EQ and glitch-free this would be awesome. Also better playlist, shuffle, repeat and the like would add greatly to this.
Reason:

7/25/2000 11:26:23 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Okay El Pimalubadachi , you can use it in your own free programs I written it for standard use for all programmers (written once to use it every time). copy the module in your project and start in your project. Enjoy :).
Reason:

7/28/2000 5:08:09 PM:M. Amine
It's a great work. keep up the good work
Reason:

7/29/2000 7:21:32 AM:El Pimalubadachi
Can you please mail me the declaration code that I need for MP3. I only want to play MP3's, no other fileformats and no forms etc. I just can't find out which API call of your source I need. My mail adress: thedudemail@yahoo.com
Reason:

7/29/2000 10:09:40 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hello El Pimalubadachi , Please note the code was commently well (without noisy)for standard use for all, just take a minute in reading the code and after this you will be apply to do a lot controls for all Multimedia files include mp3. and note the commands which play mp3 files also plays the movies files. Just insert the Module to your project (the module not large) and make your own project.
Reason:

7/31/2000 3:58:52 AM:Osama Mohamed El sayed
Hi man, that's great work from you and i hope to contact with me
Reason:

8/3/2000 5:30:11 AM:JistaBout
This is AWESOME code my friend. Just don't forget us little guys when you get that new job at Microsoft. Oh yeah and when you get there could you update VB so it makes Stand-alone .EXEs? :)(Just kidding) . Anyway,again - GREAT JOB!
Reason:

8/7/2000 4:35:32 PM:Harry Newman
Very good code well commented and very useful. Just one request, do you know how to change the speed of playing the video. At present we use Windows Media Player and VB and the .Rate property allows us to speed up playback. Can you do the same with API calls in your code.
Reason:

8/7/2000 10:31:35 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hi all, Any one had a request,new info want to add it to this code please e-mail me to: a_ahdal@yahoo.com and remember if you added new info to this code it will written by your name. THANKS.
Reason:

8/9/2000 6:51:28 PM:opello
Wow! Great code! (That's all I have to say, GREAT CODE!)
Reason:

8/11/2000 10:56:00 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hi All, I downloaded Version 5.0 before one minute from now. Good luke with Version 5.0
Reason:

8/13/2000 1:34:37 AM:Andranoa
Wow! Thank you for Version 5.0.It realy work in Windows 2000. It had some of Effects SB live 128. Keep up the good work.
Reason:

8/14/2000 10:23:13 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hello all, Sooner cool update (Version 6.0).this will occur after one or two days. Write your e-mail here or send it to a_ahdal@yahoo.com to notice you.
Reason:

8/16/2000 5:57:03 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Version 6.0 was uploaded before one minute from now.Enjoy.
Reason:

8/16/2000 5:58:49 PM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hello Harry Newman, Your request was answered. Good luke.
Reason:

8/17/2000 10:36:28 PM:Andranoa
Wow!!This code done very well in playing DVD Video!! Thanks for new Update (Channels for Audio & Rate).
Reason:

8/20/2000 6:11:20 PM:[_Gato_]
Mi sincero comentario es: Excelente.aif Excelente.aifc Exce lente.aiff Excelente.au Excelente.avi Excelente.cda Excelente.dat Excelente .m1v Excelente.mid Excelente.mov Exce lente.mp2 Excelente.mpa Excelente.mpe Excelente.mpeg Excelente.mpg Excelent e.qt Excelente.rmi Excelente.snd Exce lente.wav Excelente.vob Excelente trabajo..! (Great job..!)
Reason:

8/24/2000 4:13:24 AM:Bernhard
Excellent Code. I put all those OCX away and use only this!
Reason:

8/28/2000 11:57:56 PM:Johan Liljora
Cool Code, Keep up the good work.
Reason:

8/29/2000 12:54:09 AM:Alejandro
Congratulations! your code has solved one of my big troubles: mix two audio files... i´m working now on overlap one audio file over another audio file (Great for Dj´s and radio Stations). Congratulations (and sorry for my bad english) i´m from Argentina.
Reason:

8/30/2000 2:44:36 PM:JB
Great program but the sample movie link is broken!
Reason:

9/2/2000 6:11:35 AM:Gideon
Can you play RealVideo and RealAudio with it. There are no bugs so far.
Reason:

9/6/2000 6:34:29 AM:Chris
Excelent man
Reason:

9/7/2000 5:09:45 PM:Tom Walker
Very good, can I use the DVD code to make a freeware DVD Player?
Reason:

9/8/2000 3:55:48 AM:Randy Porosky
GREAT Code!! Hey Can You Post a Complete List of Supported File Formats!? Thanks!!
Reason:

10/10/2000 5:31:52 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hi everybody, Sorry for response too late because I really too busy. and sorry for the request which I'm not answer it,are you know the total requests (the questions) which I received it! it over than 120 question and 95% answered successd.and sorry for the other Questions. anyway good luke and soon someThings specail in programming world for VB will occur! you will see it. and for all Developers: you had the full permission to use the code. if you used this Code in your own program and you want to put something about me then you can write the company name : www.cyrsh.com again : Good Luke.
Reason:

10/16/2000 2:26:29 AM:Eli
Sorry does not work for me...MMSYSTEM263 ERROR! :(
Reason:

10/16/2000 4:59:17 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Eli , As you seen, everybody on this site ,said the code work useful with the most computers!, if you want me follow to slove a problem in your computer you can e-mail me at : a_ahdal@yahoo.com and I will slove it,but the code work in every computer and it Standard. Thanks.
Reason:

10/27/2000 6:16:13 AM:nribeiro
Brilliant code: well written, well documented and, most importantly, the author allows for its reuse. Thank you Abdullah for sharing your knowledge and your work.
Reason:

10/28/2000 4:45:35 PM:VeeJay
Tell me something... Why does the voting only go to Excellent. Couldn't they think of anything higher than that? Dim Code As Variant Code = Excellent ^ (Int(99 * Rnd)) <OverFlow> Just a thought Later VeeJay
Reason:

11/11/2000 12:41:14 PM:Matthew
Excelent code man!!! really cool, its helped me a lot... Would it be possible to add features like change brightness and more image effects?? Thanks Matthew
Reason:

11/18/2000 6:22:39 PM:Lewis C
That is simply brilliant. Well done, very well done! Just one think: if I want to play MP3s, do I need the Mpeg layer3 codec installed? if anyone knows, mail me at moochop@hotmail.com thank you very much =))
Reason:

11/19/2000 12:30:49 AM:Maxw0lf
Should be Region free 100%
Reason:

11/20/2000 10:25:32 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
Hello again all members, I'm very sorry for response too late because I really not had a time and I'm working now on the largest projects on my life! anyway, for request "Lewis C"! then if you want to play mp3's files you need mp3 codec and it avilable with Windows98 installion,then this mean this code uses Windows API 100%. please make sure you installed the mp3 codec when you installing windows98 by choose on Control panal "Add/Remove" and Add the Multimedia options. and for Windows9x,Windows2000 and NT every one the code work very well. to be sure the code work very well then read the previous comments on this page!! again I'm very sorry for response too late because I'm really busy. and sorry for not answering some of newest questions. thanks
Reason:

11/20/2000 10:46:39 AM:Abdullah Al-Ahdal
oh Matthew, I forgot to tell you! your request: add features like change brightness and more image effects! IS PART from my newest project which I working on it now. anyway,I know this project not for free but I'll not forget my brother by a demo copy! Good luke.
Reason:

11/23/2000 7:50:32 PM:Řyvind Buljo
Hey man! Great code! I wonder if you know how to make visual effects, a graphic equlizer or something like that. I've been searching for such code for months now... Anyway, thanks for sharing your code with us!
Reason:

12/7/2000 10:28:15 AM:Jag
I am getting MMSYSTEM263 error stating this is not registered MCI device. How do I change that part. Also in the call dll sample its looking for an engine.dll file to witch I have. If you can help me out a little. Thanks Later
Reason:

12/25/2000 4:32:48 PM:Chaz715@aol.com
I love your code, but I'm having a major problem with the focus in the
Reason:

12/25/2000 4:33:47 PM:Chaz
I love your code, but I'm having a major problem with the focus in the "Close" functions. In my program, I run a loop on multipile media files (sometimes over a hundred) and load their data (ie: length, frames, screensize, etc) into a listbox. So in the loop, it opens the specified file, reads the data, then closes it. The problem is, the mci function to close the media file causes the program to lose focus for a split second. This is not a major thing when your closing 1 file... but when you're opening and closing hundred of files at a time, my program blinks crazily and uncontrollibly. I mean, the function itself works perfectly, but it makes my program look terribly unprofessional and "sketchy" the way it keeps losing and regaining focus. Is their any way I can keep the focus on my program, even while closing a media file?
Reason:

1/18/2001 1:02:59 PM:Eli Jennefer
Oh, really I don't know what I must to say or do for you,all which I have to say it "THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR YOUR GREAT CODE". I PROMISSE YOU IF I CAN VOTE MORE THAN 5 I WILL DO! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND THIS GREAT CODE.
Reason:

2/2/2001 1:23:11 PM:Fajardo
finally a programming jewel.. GOOOOOOD WORK DUDE!!!
Reason:

2/13/2001 5:38:33 PM:Kennet
Can I use this exelent code with two soundcards? How do I select wich device I want to play on? Keep up the very good work!
Reason:

3/6/2001 3:40:08 PM:Bob
Excellent code Abdullah, thank you. I have one question, I can really use this in a .lib format for static linking in C/C++, have you done one? If so can you post it? Thanks again.
Reason:

3/6/2001 3:43:12 PM:Bob
Excellent code Abdullah! I have one question for you, have you made a .lib for this that can be used as a static link to a C/C++ project? If so can you share it? Thanks again.
Reason:

3/17/2001 12:07:29 PM:nahoj
This code is really super good, Excellent job Abdullah, finally somebody spend some time to set use all API. I have one question Can you implement the use of two soundcards, then this code would be great to make my own MP3 mixer. Many Thanks for sharing this code
Reason:

3/26/2001 2:34:29 PM:Rich
NICE CODE! Except that when I try and load any movie file (avi, mpg etc..) The micsendstring always returns the error:
Reason:

3/29/2001 12:01:31 AM:David
Nice piece of work! Can I use this module in a program that we are going to sell? It's made for children and has lots of video. They just need to be able to play, pause, and stop the video.
Reason:

4/3/2001 8:09:09 AM:Anil Raghav
Fantastic....just great. Is there a way to avoid the distorsion, when the rate is changed, I mean, when the decrease the rate, the quality of sound is poor... Thanks for this great code...one of the best till date :)
Reason:

4/17/2001 12:46:13 PM:Prakash Kapadia
I am studying Advanced VB, and I have class project. I did it but
Reason:

4/17/2001 12:47:21 PM:Prakash Kapadia
I am studying Advanced VB, and I have class project. I did it but it has some problem. I appreciate for your help. Please let me know your email, so I can email my file to look at it and help me to correct it. Thank you very much. My email address is pk_kapadia@yahoo.com
Reason:

5/14/2001 5:38:59 PM:Masterand
Yeah, not bad!
Reason:

5/15/2001 6:31:24 PM:Richard
Hi, I must say this is excellent code. So far I have learned a great deal about programming in multimedia only by using this codeset. Very Good!! I do have a few questions left.. How do I switch a playing video to fullscreen and back without pausing, stopping.. I can initiate play with fullscreen fine, but I would like to click a button while it is playing and have it switch to fullscreen. Like WMP7 does... I am interested to hear from you. Keep up the great work. richard_franken@hotmail.com
Reason:

6/12/2001 3:37:09 PM:codesucks
The code solved one of my queries easily. An excellent well documented piece of code. Well done.
Reason:

8/20/2001 8:59:01 AM:David
Very nice code. Works well on Windows 95,98, and Me. Am experiencing problems on Windows 2000 however. Have you had any other such reports? Thanks!
Reason:

8/21/2001 4:08:55 AM:Kristi
Oops,This is the best code I've ever seen for full player with full controlling, Thank you for sharing your works with us! And I have to Tell David,My OS right now is Win2k and this code works fine with me!
Reason:

8/26/2001 4:22:29 PM:Ross
First, I wanna say that this has got to be the best module for playing multimedia files that I have ever seen. But I do have one request if it's not too much trouble. I have 2 sound cards. Is there a way to choose which one I want it to play through? Please email me at deejross@email.com Thanks in advance!
Reason:

9/14/2001 2:31:18 PM:Gael
Seems there are some problems playing .mov quicktime 5 file (don't know for other format 4 or less ?).MCI driver fail with error MMSYSTEM263. (OS used WinME ?) Any help ?
Reason:

9/25/2001 2:53:15 PM:IceWeb Systems
Truly a revolution in MCI coding. However a few problems have arised. Within you program the code works fine but if i try to input it into mine i get an MMSYSTEM 263 error: This device is not registered. Any ideas????? p.s. Any ideas on how to make RealMedia work because it does not use MCI devices.
Reason:

10/4/2001 5:38:59 AM:Erik
I'm using W2K and the code doesn't seem to work for me :-( The old code however (WithOutDLLJustAPI) does work fine but when I end the sample code VB6 crashes. The newest code gives the same error as written in many other feedbacks (device not registered). Any ideas how to solve these problems? Erik p.s. Your code seems to be great and I would love to use it !!
Reason:

10/14/2001 3:16:13 PM:Ales Zigon
Yeah, man! All of the above!! Good job! How about graphic EQ? Would be nice. Regards! ales.zigon@amis.net zigona@volja.net
Reason:

10/14/2001 9:38:39 PM:JohnBC
Very well documented... I'm pretty new to this language, as well as API calls, this is going to make my learning curve a lot easier THANKS! (5 Stars) ps as good as this is this guy must not get out much haha :-)
Reason:

10/31/2001 6:20:47 PM:Norbert Doerre
This is really a well done demonstration. What I'm looking for, is a code snippet on how to get access to the audio out channels of the mixer device just to save to file what I currently hear. Who could tell us about that feature?
Reason:

10/31/2001 6:23:22 PM:norbert
This is really a well done demo code which should better have done some times ago by Microsoft. ;) Well, above all, I'm interested in getting acces to the audio out channel of the mixer device just to save a currently heard audio stream to a record file. norbert
Reason:

12/14/2001 7:13:43 AM:Roniawan Yahya
Excellent code man.. I am vote 5 for you. I have one question, when i click the left channel audio why the right channel speaker no sound. How copying the left channel audio to the right channel audio( like the karaoke player system ). could u help me and teach me how to coding and implement the code in Visual Basic Language? Email me at misit@centrin.net.id or roniawan_yahya@hotmail.com thank's 4 u respon wassalam....
Reason:

2/5/2002 5:33:21 PM:EJ
I am having dowload problems, i get a page not foud error, but i'v only tryed it today i will try agegn tomarow
Reason:

2/11/2002 7:22:47 PM:OcinO
GREAT CODE!!! but i got 1 question... Have you tested it with windowsXP?? once again... GREAT CODE!
Reason:

2/14/2002 8:30:57 PM:Jamie Lindgren
THIS IS AWESOME!! OcinO, it works with WinXP, I have XP. 5 globes dude this OWNZ
Reason:

2/25/2002 10:51:07 PM:Lee Bailey
GREAT CODE but I have found a problem. If you increase the rate of playback i.e speed up an mp3 track, the percentage of file is not in sync, you can reach 100% before even 50% of the track has played. Any ideas?
Reason:

2/26/2002 12:53:49 PM:Svein Sorensen
Hello Great Code it works like a dream on Windows 98-Me. But when I try to use It on XP it produces an error that gets XP Wanting to send a bug report. I am Using VB 5 Sp3 Anyone else have problems in XP?
Reason:

3/2/2002 2:02:16 AM:KrazyGamer
is there any way to save the image shown on the mci handle? it's not actually painted on the controls, so i have no way of getting the picture. any ideas?
Reason:

3/3/2002 8:18:30 AM:IceWeb Systems
excellent code, do you know how to add functions to read the tags of media files e.g. windows media video & audio
Reason:

3/3/2002 4:08:14 PM:Sukru Alatas
if you want to know about ID3 (v1,v2) Tags, visit http://www.id3.org, there're lots of informations over there
Reason:

3/12/2002 1:40:25 AM:JuiCe
Hmm.. the code is very in depth and I'm sure very well done, but it won't play MP3's for me. It's probably my fault but then again, you tell me: Private Sub Command1_Click() OpenMultimedia Me.hWnd, "audio1", "C:\Program Files\KaZaA\My Shared Folder\BT - Shame.mp3", "MPEGVideo" PlayMultimedia "audio1", vbNullString, vbNullString End Sub Thanks - JuiCe (j.ski@angelfire.com)
Reason:

3/20/2002 2:28:00 PM:keyur
nice
Reason:

3/20/2002 2:29:14 PM:keyur
very nice
Reason:

4/1/2002 10:03:50 AM:Salman Ashraf
Anybody please help, I love this code but I want know why it takes a lot of time to move mpeg files via slider or move to command. Windows media player can do it fast, is there a possibility to make it work faster... This is very important quesion, I'm very anxious to know the answer, my email address is softjunkies@yahoo.com Please reply me, YES I'M TALKING TO YOU ALSO...
Reason:

4/27/2002 2:34:50 PM:Josh
This code is excellent! Well documented, very functional, and easy to use. My only question is if there is some way to capture a frame to a file?
Reason:

5/1/2002 10:09:01 PM:Bulut
great code!!! i have made some cool things with it and i would like to talk to u about it. my email is calm_pilot_2000@hotmail.com thank you
Reason:

5/11/2002 10:04:12 AM:the seeker
WOW,NICE WORK,VERY NICE, deserve 5 points at least.
Reason:

6/18/2002 8:41:32 PM:Edwin
Wow! Its so complicated looking. And it works! Got to find someway to use this... Thanks!! http://www.eklipz.co.uk
Reason:

6/18/2002 8:42:43 PM:Edwin
Even works on Windows XP!!
Reason:

7/2/2002 11:07:58 PM:palalan
Same with KrazyGamer. I am trying to copy an avi frame or segment to the clipboard. No matter what I do I can not get the copy command to work. Do you know how it is done. Great code and well done
Reason:

7/10/2002 9:56:56 PM:mike
just a quick ?; is the api to play sounds different in 2k? if so can someone pls email me with the different calls @ xxhockeyxx@hotmail.com.. thnx
Reason:

7/12/2002 6:40:21 AM:Geoff Bird
Hello, Thanks for posting this it was a great help. I have a question though, some types of avi's will not play on my computer using your method, although they will play fine in windows media player. Do you have any idea why? Thank you, Geoff
Reason:

7/21/2002 10:28:27 PM:Joseph
This code is the BEST that I've seen, ever. Its just the code I've been looking for. I do have one suggestion. How about adding code to make a video fullscreen. Similar to what Microsoft Media player can do. Aside from this, I give this code all the globes and then some. Keep up the good work!
Reason:

8/2/2002 3:21:06 AM:jerry
A very well written code indeed. Thanks for sharing it with the public.
Reason:

9/16/2002 12:48:17 PM:Mohammad Aljada
Hi, i want to thank you first for your code on PSCODE which is very good, and i am happy for finding arab people who are very good programmers. iam a VB programmer, and i have some cods in PSCODE on .net section. i want to ask you about the VOLUME control, how to make a volume control on VB6 - without OCX - that controls playback and recording volume and select recording source. i.e like windows volume control. if you know please reply. thanks for every think. yours mohammad aljada mohjada@yahoo.com
Reason:

9/16/2002 7:28:16 PM:
Hi Abdullah, I congratulate you on releasing this great code. I am using Windows XP and VB6, working fine. I am a radio Amateur and have written a Slow Scan Television program. With your program I am sending the video to a VB picture box. When I pause or stop the program I want to save the stationary displayed video picture to a file or the clipboard or to make the displayed picture the picturebox.image. How can I do this, the usual methods fail. In the future, will your program be able to receive direct input from video cameras and webcams etc. That is a definition of heaven. Many thanks. Erik.
Reason:

9/21/2002 7:30:38 AM:
Really!!! Good Work Man. Can this also be used for Streaming Audio Files My email id is: b_suryabhaskar@yahoo.com
Reason:

9/22/2002 2:04:54 PM:
Supreb work man,Iwas in search of code that could play mp3 files for a college project. Thank you. People like you are a boon for students
Reason:

9/23/2002 7:21:23 AM:
Hi, Good effort. Thanks to your program I can understand MS examples better. Thanks to a small bug in your code, I was able to understand why I was having problems with an AVI ( its really an MPEG !!). Any way on this line; [If LCase(Right(file, 4)) = ".avi" Then 'if the movie is avi then select type] It won't find files of type avi!. It should read; [If LCase(Right(filename, 4)) = ".avi" Then 'if the movie is avi then select type] Which is why my avi still played, it's an mpeg ( with wrong extension ) Anyway the above change then detected avi extension ok. Thanks
Reason:

9/23/2002 7:41:12 AM:
Forget that last comment about bug. That was in your old code. The excitement at solving my problem caused a rush of blood to the head. Good work. Thanks.
Reason:

12/6/2002 8:36:26 AM:
I am amazed, this was just what i was looking for. Thanks to your code i now understand how to use the API functions. Thanks again, if you ever come to Holland I'll buy you a drink!!!
Reason:

12/11/2002 12:21:29 AM:
Hey, this is gret, but can you you add soemthign where the video can be streamed to someone else? I am looking for code to streamlive video over socket...any idea? Please mail me at gokula@motorola.com
Reason:

12/18/2002 1:41:07 PM:
Excellent Coding, but I was not able to compile it to ActiveX Dll or OCX, It shows one error ie (invalid use of AddressOf operator) in "SetAutoRepeat" function. And if you give some control on movies it will be good like if we click on movie it should pause.
Reason:

12/28/2002 11:02:52 AM:Chris Tanaskoski
Good code, the GetTotalFrames doesn't work good with VBR Mp3-files
Reason:

12/29/2002 1:52:14 PM:Techni Rei Myoko
why is this code posted like 20 times?
Reason:

1/29/2003 10:15:21 PM:
I dont send many comments, but I couldn't help myself. THIS IS GREAT!!! I wish I could give rate at 6
Reason:

2/12/2003 2:20:21 AM:M. Jahedbozorgan
Nice code, but I have a problem with SetDefaultDevice sub, because I have WinXp and also I have XingMPEG player installed on my computer. And as you know WinXp doesn't use SYSTEM.INI to set drivers, it uses registry. So I'm unable to use your code. If it's possible for you, change your code and add something to determine OS type, so this sub can work with both platforms of Windows (I mean Xp and 98). Thank you for your code. M. Jahedbozorgan m_jahedbozorgan@yahoo.com
Reason:

2/20/2003 6:03:09 PM:Shmarya
AMAZING! You are the G-D of MCI!
Reason:

3/2/2003 2:38:40 PM:
Excellent!!! Thank you very much.
Reason:

3/10/2003 11:24:41 AM:
im really thanks,coz i found it i want
Reason:

3/31/2003 9:29:16 AM:
when it's playing the dvd,how to add the title to the picture. my email: sony@public.hk.hi.cn
Reason:

3/31/2003 9:30:40 AM:
when it's playing the dvd,how to add the title to the moving picture my email:sony@public.hk.hi.cn
Reason:

4/2/2003 1:37:20 PM:
Thanx so much for the source code it works great 30% of my new soft are done. Thanx once again
Reason:

6/5/2003 9:23:17 AM:Sahir
just want to say excellent 5 ***** from me hello any body knows how i can play mpeg and cut from specific point to another point and save that clip
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.