article,shows,various,connection,strings,used
Quick Search for:  in language:    
article,shows,various,connection,strings,used
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
ASP/ VbScript Stats

Code: 144,429 lines
 Jobs: 168 postings

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for ASP/ VbScript.
Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Ping in ASP
By Michele_Garneri on 10/28

(Screen Shot)

Embed Real Player Object
By Ziae Mousavi m. on 10/27

Set Country --> Combobox
By Hohl David on 10/27

Client Side Sorting of records
By Ravi Rajan on 10/26

Recordset paging with images
By Ravi Rajan on 10/26

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Online photo catalogue VBScript 2.1
By Ivan Loire on 10/26

(Screen Shot)

GPS 1.4 WYSIWYG
By Guo Xu on 10/25

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!A Network Monitor tool from ActivXperts Software Inc.
By Freddy Hofstadt on 10/25

(Screen Shot)

Socket samples based on Winsock, TCP/IP and client/server communication
By Ronny Bright on 10/25

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Database Connectivity and Data Access

Print
Email

Submitted on: 1/10/2001 3:16:33 PM
By: Daniel M. Hendricks  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 12 Users
Compatibility:ASP (Active Server Pages)

Users have accessed this article 37709 times.

This article shows various connection strings, used to connect to various databases in Windows, as well as methods to access and modify data. Some connection strings may require client software to be installed, but most work with Windows 2000.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
Database Connectivity in ASP

This reference will show you how to connect to a variety of databases in different ways:

1. Connect to the Database
  2. Run your SQL commands
  3. Common Examples

Connect to the Database

Before you can access your database, you need to connect to it using one of the following methods:

Microsoft Access 2000 Database (OLE-DB):

Set db = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
db.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("database.mdb") & ";"

Microsoft Access databases are quick, easy, and portable. It works good for small, intradepartmental applications. If you plan on having more than a few users connecting to it, however, you many wish to consider using a database like SQL Server or Oracle instead. Here is another way to connect to a Microsoft Access database:

Microsoft Access 2000 Database:

db.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("database.mdb") & ";UID=;PWD="

For a description of the difference between OLE-DB and ODBC, check out this article at oledb.com.

Connecting to a database using a DSN:

db.Open "DSN=mydsn;UID=username;PWD=password"

Before you can use this method, you must create a DSN in your control panel (usually under ODBC or Data Sources). This process varies from each version of Windows, so you're on your own. When you create a DSN, you will be asked to give it a name. The name you enter should replace the "mydsn" value above, along with the username and password.

Connect to a SQL Server database with OLE DB:

db.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=SERVER; Initial Catalog=database; User ID=username; Password=password"

An OLE DB connection can provide faster performance than a DSN. This method doesn't require you to set up a DSN (which makes reloading the machine easier), which makes it easier to reload the computer and doesn't require you to create a DSN. However, if you move your applications to another server or if you move your database to another server, you will need to update any hard-coded values. There are ways around this, but for simplicity, I have provided the example above.

Connect to a MySQL Database Under Linux/Chili!Soft ASP:

db.Open "Driver={MySQL}; SERVER=localhost; DATABASE=database; UID=username; PWD=password"

This code has only been tested on a Cobalt RAQ with Chili!Soft ASP and MySQL.

Connect to Oracle 8 (OLE-DB):

db.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User ID=user;Password=pwd; Data Source=hoststring;"

This code has only been confirmed to work with Oracle 8i server and Windows client. Important: Requires Oracle client connectivity tools to be installed. Here is another way to connect to an Oracle database:

Connect to Oracle 8:

db.Open "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};UID=user;PWD=password;CONNECTSTRING=hoststring"

This also requires the Oracle client tools be installed. For a description of the difference between OLE-DB and ODBC, check out this article at oledb.com.

Run Your Commands

Now that you have a connection to your database, you can run SQL statements:

Delete Records:

db.execute("DELETE FROM mytable WHERE FullName = 'John Doe'")

This is only used as an example. You will need to replace "mytable" with the name of the table you are trying to delete from. Likewise, replace "FullName" with the name of the appropriate field.

Insert Records:

db.execute("INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('John Doe', 22, '321 Disk Dr.', 'Hollywood, CA')

Again, this is only used as an example. Change the statement as needed.

List Records:

set rs=db.execute("SELECT * FROM mytable")
rs.MoveFirst
Do Until rs.EOF
Response.Write rs("MyField") & "<br>"
Loop

The first line is a select statement that selects records. The following lines iterate through each line, displays the current value of the "MyField" field, and adds a line-feed. You will want to change the "mytable" and "MyField" values appropriately.

Common Examples

Add, list, and delete records:

db.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("database.mdb") & ";"

db.execute("INSERT INTO MyTable VALUES ('Dan Hendricks', 22)")
set rs=db.execute("SELECT * FROM MyTable")

rs.MoveFirst
Do Until rs.EOF
Response.Write rs("NAME") & "<br>"
rs.MoveNext
Loop

db.execute("DELETE FROM MyTable WHERE NAME = 'Dan Hendricks'")

This code will open the database, add the values "Dan Hendricks" and "22" into the first two field of the chosen table, display all current records in the table, and finally delete the record that was added.

Here is another quick and easy way to connect and list records:

'This code connects to the database.
set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
db="DSN=TechSupport;UID=TechSupport;PWD=foobar"

'This code iterates through the current records.
mySQL = "SELECT * from chairs "
rs.open mySQL, db, 1, 3<-- Change the '3' to a '1' for a read-only. -->
rs.MoveFirst
Do Until rs.EOF
Response.Write rs("MyField") & "<br>"
rs.MoveNext
Loop

'This code deletes a record, and then adds a new one
rs.MoveFirst
rs.Delete
rs.AddNew
rs("Name") = 'Jane Doe'
rs.Update
rs.Close

NOTE: This does not use the same connect statements listed above. It's just a different way to connect to a database and list, add, or remove records.

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
1/11/2001 12:38:34 PM:Robert Long
Great tutorial, I really appreciate you going into detail with every point. I'll be looking forward to other articles in the future. Any IIS applications?
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

1/11/2001 2:07:28 PM:John A. Shaw
Dan, In your contribution on Database Connectivity you state that: ********** There are a number of ways to connect to a MS Access database, but I use this one. Connecting to a database using a DSN: Set db = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") db.Open "DSN=mydsn;UID=username;PWD=password" * ********* 1) Do you know of a source for the other ways? For accessing other MS Office applications? 2) I want to open an Excel Workbook and execute a VBA macro from an ASP. Do you have any suggestions where I might find information on this task? Thanks for your piece on Database Connectivity and any help you may be able to give me. .............John
Reason:

1/23/2001 12:36:21 AM:tanuj: email: tanujwadhwa@hotmail.com
Tell me which one of these is better
Reason:

3/1/2001 11:13:47 PM:Dan Hendricks
Neither method is better. Each one is sometimes convenient for different code. The second one is more straight-forward and easier to understand. I like to use it for displaying records in a table. I like to use the first one for most stuff because it more clearly displays what is going on through SQL statements. Neither is better - use what you like!
Reason:

6/16/2001 4:46:51 PM:Harlan Iverson
Hey, awesome, thanks...This was the only thing on the net, after 2 days of searching, I found that acually told me how to connect to my MySQL server. The Chili Soft ASP method also works with IIS 5.0 thanks
Reason:

6/16/2001 4:47:58 PM:Harlan Iverson
oh, one last thing i forgot to mention, incase anyone else is having the same problem i was, you need MyODBC installed too, can get it from the MySQL website.
Reason:

6/29/2001 3:14:01 PM:MIGUEL A SANTIAGO
What does it is command to APPEND TO an external Access database with password. Access automatically create next command: INSERT INTO [;PWD=xx].TblName ( FieldName ) IN 'loc&databaseName'[;PWD=xx] SELECT SourceTblName.FieldName FROM SourceTblName; But doesn't work, it is correct ? What does is it correct command? Thank You for you help... Miguel
Reason:

7/30/2001 2:17:06 PM:volcano_88101
Thank you so much for making it so simple. After Viewing over 200 Web Search Results I was about to give up.. Not only was your code nice and easy to understand but somehow it finally got to me why my website wasn't working. I didn't have an ODBC driver installed.. Thank you so much
Reason:

8/27/2001 2:45:58 PM:Daniel Malo
Dan, you did an awesome work here! I tried Access, and it worked smoothly with ASP. But right now, I'm doing a project that involves Oracle 8 with ASP. I followed your suggestions, but I couldn't establish a connection. You see, I have this server with all the necessary drivers and service pack installed (Windows NT Server4.0, Service Pack 6, drivers for ODBC/Oracle). This error appears: "ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'. ADO could not find the specified provider." If you have any suggestions, they are welcome! Thanks a lot, Dan
Reason:

9/14/2001 10:06:58 PM:Todd
This Helped Alot Thanks Man
Reason:

11/6/2001 12:32:51 AM:kik333
hi, i am having a totally different problem kinda. My personal web manager stops displaying my asp pages sometimes, and then when i try to run the pws, nothing happens. so i try to uninstall it, but win2k doesn't let me. so now i am stuck with no web server. any one know why this might be happening or if there are any fixes.
Reason:

2/24/2002 3:33:37 AM:Soheil Yasrebi
great toturial thanks!
Reason:

4/30/2002 5:30:42 PM:Arthur Robinson
Is there a way to have the new SubjectID from the first table feed automatically into the other 3 tables?
Reason:

8/30/2002 5:49:33 PM:amenelaus
All the information on how to connect to your database is in the IIS help files. You say this can be used to modify data in the description, yet I see no way to overwrite current records by id. Any help?
Reason:

9/5/2002 3:50:54 AM:
This is a great Article and helped me a lot in my project. Thank you very much.
Reason:

10/16/2002 4:33:59 PM:
This is a very useful article that can be taken as a reference, good work man
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | ASP/ VbScript Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.