Quick Search for:  in language:    
Truth,Internetworks,software,which,hoping,wil
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,029,109. lines
 Jobs: 121. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Winsock with the boy
By Daniel Callander on 7/9

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!__AA Hack Keys
By JAKI on 7/9

(Screen Shot)

RSH from VBScript - execute command on UNIX or LINUX
By Roby Kott on 7/9

VBScript samples
By Roby Kott on 7/9

DBA tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Monitoring Tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Monitor Tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Make Path / Create Dir
By Dream on 7/9

Venus MUD Server
By Andrew Armstrong on 7/9

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Truth Internetworks

Print
Email

Submitted on: 6/28/2003 3:59:48 AM
By: Ultimatum  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 4 Users
Compatibility:VB 6.0, VB Script

Users have accessed this article 675 times.

author picture
(About the author)

Truth Internetworks is software which I'm hoping will one day will take a chunk out of America Online's usage. Looking for developers who are willing to work for free in their spare time to help develop a constantly evolving content provider. Please read for more information.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

First...
I would first like to apologize for posting this in the "code" section. I would post this in the forums, but as far as I can tell, just about nobody uses the forums anymore. I can't post this in Rent A Coder because this project has nothing to do with money. However, there is some code available, so this seems like the best place to post it.

Abstract
Truth Internetworks (TIN) has been a project of mine since the day I sat down at my dad's computer and started learning Visual Basic 3 on Windows 3.0.  The concept behind it is simple: a software platform that performs very much like America Online, but a) is free, b) works better, and c) is not loaded with tons and tons of non-standard coding.

Several weeks ago, I started working on this dream of mine. Up to this point, I've been able to create a completely working, fully functional e-mail client (send/receive HTML e-mail with attachments, filter out junk mail, etc.) and a rather mediocre web browser.  I've been doing a lot of programming in the areas of string parsing, and I've been doing a lot of research, mainly here on Planet Source Code. I've come to the realization that my software will never be complete without the help of volunteers. Everyone is welcome to help work on it, but there's a certain set of people I'd like to have join my "team." There's lots to be learned, and experience is well worth it.

What is Truth Internetworks?
For lack of a better term, TIN is a "content subscription service client." Users request information much in the same manner as AOL, and the software delivers it to them.  Many Internet tools (and non-Internet tools) are bundled with the software, such as a robust web browser and e-mail client, a download accelerator/manager, centralized chat/instant messaging and forums, intelligent web-research agents, peer-2-peer file sharing, etc. The heart of TIN, however, is the content provider service.  Web developers can write attractive web interfaces using any form of web programming (exactly like you would on a normal web site) and deliver it to TIN users.

Sounds like this software is just a web browser with extra software built in. What makes it so special?
The difference between a normal web site and the content that a user will see on TIN is all in the dynamics. A normal web site allows you to display text, images, run client-side scripts, and the like. Server-side programming, such as ASP, PHP, and any other form of CGI, allows sites to be a little more dynamic, and provide customized Web pages that can be customized to the user's liking.  With the right plug-ins, users can enjoy multimedia such as Flash and Windows Media. Either way, there are still limitations placed on what a web site can do.

TIN content separates itself from web pages by removing all of the limitations. In addition to being able to perform all of the functions of a web page, TIN content can also do things such as burn and play CDs or DVDs, help remove viruses from your computer, make ' your system run more efficiently, act as ' a telephone with built-in answering machine for your computer (provided you have a free phone line, that is), sync up with your Pocket PC or Palm, help do your taxes, etc. Basically, anything you can do as a programmer, you can also do as a TIN content author.

Wait, if TIN can do all these things, how could it possibly be safe?
In not so many words, it isn't safe. Thus, all submitted content must checked and given the OK before it can be published.

Okay, I'm interested. How do I join the team?
There are a couple of ways. The first way is to go to the Truth Internetworks web site (http://www.imp-lan.com/tin). The second way is to leave a comment here. Either way, contact me somehow. I'm anxious to start filling seats in the team and get this project rolling. Any ideas anyone else has are welcome, as well. =)

Other 20 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
6/28/2003 6:09:26 AM:Michael Skelton
Ok, for starters something like this should not be developed in VB. VB is a low level language that lakes power and functionality, it is simply an easy language to help n00bies get started off. Second of all i don't really think you will find all to many people wanting to use anything remotely related to AOL.. at all. And last but not least in order to make a replacement to a browser it needs to be absolutely flawless. Look at the netscape, Internet explorer case. IE comes with windows so people can't compete. If Netscape couldn't compete then what makes you think a VB3 low level app could? Good luck.. your going to really need it.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

6/28/2003 6:53:49 AM:Michael Canejo
I've had this dream once, and I'm interested to fulfil it. As for Michael Skelton, if you put down VB so much I wonder why your even here? VB is only limited to being used in games or other CPU intensivee apps. Besides, you can use dlls made in delphi or c++ if you really need the speed. So vb isn't really limited at all. I would say make this program in Delphi7 but MORE people code in VB than in other languages meaning this project can have more people contributing. There was no need for your post either, completely rude. Your attitude is what makes you as a programmer weak.
Reason:

6/28/2003 7:49:56 AM:Coding Genius
''VB is a low level language'' - *Smirk* - No ASM is a low level language, VB is as high a level language as you could probably imagine. heh it's funny watching people trying to put other people down when they just have no idea what they're doing.
Reason:

6/28/2003 7:53:28 AM:Coding Genius
Also, you shouldn't put down peoples dreams. Even if the guys project doesn't take off, at least he'll learn so much from it and probably have alot of fun doing it which is what programming is all about - constantly learning. Also, VB isn't as limited as most people think. It's real limits are rarely reached and most of the time people are only limited by their imaginations. For example, whoever thought of adding preassembled asm code to their VB code and calling it really used their imagination and pushed VB much further than before possible.
Reason:

6/28/2003 10:57:10 AM:Syllva Tech Software
I think it's a good idea, and as Michael Canejo said, it can be enhanced with the use of DLLs created in C++, etc. As for Michael Skelton, Your comments are quite rude, and how did you get the idea he wants it created in VB3?
Reason:

6/28/2003 11:21:36 AM:
VB3 ? With or without the Message Blaster control?
Reason:

6/28/2003 12:23:15 PM:Nathanael B
This is quite ambitious! Since someone was rude enough to submit a 1 globe rating, I'll give you a 5. I can't help your project, however, I'm currently very busy on projects of my own (sorry)! I wish you the best of luck though! Please keep PSC informed of this project as it progresses.
Reason:

6/28/2003 12:31:49 PM:David J. Fritts
FACT: America Online is an ISP OPINION: You will not be able to even begin to compete unless your software is designed to connect to the internet and/or you provide a service (ISP)
Reason:

6/28/2003 12:33:52 PM:David J. Fritts
Coding Genius, I don't know about you but my vb coding is *low level* ::smirks::
Reason:

6/28/2003 2:44:32 PM:Ultimatum
Well, first, thank you for all your feedback. This includes you, Mr. Skelton. I think your criticism is misplaced, however. Allow me to elaborate a little bit more on the project. First, yes, I agree that AOL is... well... very subpar in almost all instances. This is why I'm trying to take the concept of AOL and make it work. AOL is like communism: it works... only in theory. TIN will hopefully remove the excess stuff. Second, I do *not* plan on using VB3 to write this software. The code that I've written so far has been done entirely in VB6. I also plan on using C or C++ to do things that absolutely cannot be done in VB (and as we've seen on the VB section of PSC, there is very, very little that can't be done with VB; some things, however, are just more efficient if you write in C++).
Reason:

6/28/2003 2:53:41 PM:Ultimatum
Third, AOL doesn't even attempt to replace a web browser. You can still use Internet Explorer, and I *think* it comes bundled with Netscape. The same will hold true for TIN (minus the inclusion of Netscape). TIN will come with it's own, built-in web browser that offers basic browser functionality, as well as different functionality from IE. (I would say *the same and then some* as IE, but I can't promise that.) As far as making TIN an ISP... well... I'd like to think that someday, it will happen. For now, however, I don't have the resources to do such. So, for now, it will run on top of any existing Internet connection you have.
Reason:

6/28/2003 2:54:29 PM:Ultimatum
Anyway, like I said, I do have some programming done, but it's very crude. No UI enhancements (except for one), and a lot of it could be streamlined. I've been working on the programming every day, and now, hopefully, I'll be able to program *and* get other developers in on things. I was going to post a screenshot of what I've done so far, but PSC wouldn't let me. I'll keep trying to do so, and if I completely fail after numerous tries, I'll upload it as a ZIP file. Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention: I also plan on doing some development in .NET
Reason:

6/28/2003 5:30:12 PM:Burbble
As you said before, it (like AOL) will work "in theory". IMO, I think the problem is that people will not want to have almost every aspect of their computer controlled by a single program. The program just seems a bit... over-domineering. I know that there is competition among different creators of various types of programs (like Internet Browsers, CD creating apps, Media Players, etc.), but I don't think combining everything into one application is a good idea. It's almost like creating a solitary operating system that contains every program a person will ever need to use(except that it runs within an operating system). I think your idea is good, but I don't think it is a product that many people will want to use.
Reason:

6/28/2003 5:32:30 PM:Burbble
And Visual Basic is not "low-level"... Assembly is... (duh) Visual Basic is only limited to the ideas you can create with it.
Reason:

6/28/2003 7:41:43 PM:Ultimatum
Burbble, thanks for your feedback. The thing is, though, a *lot* of people use AOL. TIN will simply take the functionality of AOL and make it practical. Whether or not people will want to use it is really neither here nor there. After all, if it doesn't work the way I had planned on (which I think is doubtful [although I could be wrong]), it's still free. I mentioned on the TIN web site that it may cost something like $5.95 a year, but I don't think I'll put that in effect. Besides, the idea that all the content will always be up to date allows for authors to create their own subscription services: a concept that hasn't been put forth until Microsoft and Intel came up with the idea. Anyway, please, keep the feedback coming.
Reason:

6/29/2003 7:17:49 AM:Broken Arrow
So many ppl r commenting in so many ways! I agree to Coding Genius, your VB is limited to your imagination. Once nobody ever believed that TSR programming could b done in QB, but once I discoverd that line labels are nothing but variable pinters and has it's own VARPTR address, TSRs could b done in QB, once you know how to do, who stops you, even it is QB! Quality doesn't depend on what you know, it depends on your ability to know & learn. Thos who underestimate VB should really try to learn VB before the come back and criticize it again. One who has VB in addition with Assembly, what do you think can stop him! I welcome this project, not hoping this to be complete, but simply for the highness of the imagination. Not everybody can dream, so y u ppl stop one dreaming while u can't make a dream!
Reason:

6/29/2003 11:58:21 AM:tc
I kind of like the idea. I kind of thought of something like this before but my idea is alittle different. My idea was like a central shareware app. Don't have an answering machine well you could choose it and download and it runs from with in the central app instead of creating a new exe. Need sticky notes well then you could download that feature. Need a media convertor to encode mp3 to wav just get that feature. etc. Just a thought of mine. Another great advantage would be that you could also keep everything up to date. I could see more of a market for something like this then what you were describing Ultimatum. But maybe it is just me. If anybody might be interested in something like this you can shoot me and email through PSC.
Reason:

6/29/2003 3:28:04 PM:
Just out of question...I do like the idea, but if this is going to be free and stuff, where are u gunna get all the bandwidth for this? AOL use's gigs and gigs of bandwidth. Even half of there subscriber base would probably consume over a terrabyte of info a month.... just a thought...
Reason:

6/29/2003 5:18:11 PM:Ultimatum
tc, that's basically what Truth Internetworks will be like. Just, only slightly different. The complete details still have to be worked out, but I've already developed a very basic content distribution framework. As far as bandwidth is concerned, I don't want to release too much info on that just yet, simply because I have a ranged variety of ideas (including *no* server centralization). That topic will be further discussed with the team developers.
Reason:

6/30/2003 8:21:46 AM:Dave Stringer
It's a neat idea. How do you plan on making money or supporting this program in the future? As for the web content, an easy way to go with that idea would be to use the browser control (which is basically an IE with no UI) and create custom web control(s) that get installed with TIN that could be used with any web page to do whatever you want. With anything, I thik it could be successful if marketed correctly.
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.