Quick Search for:  in language:    
Option,Explicit,important
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,029,109. lines
 Jobs: 121. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Winsock with the boy
By Daniel Callander on 7/9

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!__AA Hack Keys
By JAKI on 7/9

(Screen Shot)

RSH from VBScript - execute command on UNIX or LINUX
By Roby Kott on 7/9

VBScript samples
By Roby Kott on 7/9

DBA tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Monitoring Tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Monitor Tools
By Roby Kott on 7/9

Make Path / Create Dir
By Dream on 7/9

Venus MUD Server
By Andrew Armstrong on 7/9

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Option Explicit

Print
Email

Submitted on: 6/27/2003 4:16:43 PM
By: Jim K 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 12 Users
Compatibility:VB 6.0

Users have accessed this article 1153 times.

(About the author)

Why is "Option Explicit" that important ?

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
I see a lot of complaints on submitters not using Option Explicit In their modules. Specially, this is common to newbies submissions. I'm tired of it, so i'll explain it for the newbies.... It's used at module level to force explicit declaration of all variables in that module. 'Option Explicit' Remarks: If used, the Option Explicit statement must appear in a module before any procedures. When Option Explicit appears in a module, you must explicitly declare all variables using the Dim, Private, Public, ReDim, or Static statements. If you attempt to use an undeclared variable name, an error occurs at compile time. If you don't use the Option Explicit statement, all undeclared variables are of Variant type unless the default type is otherwise specified with a Default type statement. Use Option Explicit to avoid incorrectly typing the name of an existing variable or to avoid confusion in code where the scope of the variable is not clear. Conclution is: Use Option Explicit Now.. Ther might be some of you that don't use it, maybe because you forget to type it ?? To get Option Explicit automatically inserted in any module you add to your prj, go to VB's menu - Tools - Options - Editor tab. Require variable Declarations should be Checked and then you'll never again have to think of it. Someone maybe concider this as a dumb posting. but i mean the beginner (Newbie) has to learn it's importancy some way down the road. Good luck with your next upload :) I hope Option Explicit are stated.

Other 10 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
6/27/2003 4:24:39 PM:Neophyte
Amen! I used option explicit since day 1, I'm sure hundreds of problems would have arised hadn't I done so. In a couple of submissions I have seen 'Option Base' or something like that, could somebody explain what that is? Thanks.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

6/27/2003 4:45:34 PM:Jim K
NeoPhyte! Option Base.. Basically used to make a more flexible way to control the range of an array's subscripts. Though, It's mostly used when dimensional arrays is used in you prj.
Reason:

6/27/2003 4:47:35 PM:Neophyte
k. thanks
Reason:

6/27/2003 5:39:24 PM:Visualcode
Okay, there are already submissions of this http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/S howCode.asp?txtCodeId=31732&lngWId=1 http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCod e.asp?txtCodeId=44963&lngWId=1 http:/ /www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp? txtCodeId=26330&lngWId=1 So as you can see there are enough of these, one is good, if they truly cared, they would look it up, having multiple clones on the site is just a waste. No offence but as you can probably see, the article is not needed.
Reason:

6/27/2003 5:53:51 PM:Keith Stanier
I make a point about this in "Tips for VB Programmers". This advise doesn't only apply to newbies. I download code from oldies that don't use Option Explicit. Visualcode mustn’t use it either. 5 globes from me.
Reason:

6/27/2003 6:31:32 PM:Jonathan P. Ivy
This is Lame. No offence, but I've been keeping track of my own variables since QBasic. I don't need to option explicit anything. It is just a tool used by newbs or people too lazy to remember what variables are declared and what are not. This submission is a waste of space.
Reason:

6/27/2003 6:36:03 PM:shock
LOL, newbies dont want to read that, ill sum it up for you: you put it at the top of a module and it requires you to declare all variable, you dont need all that crapp, im not gonna bother to vote
Reason:

6/27/2003 6:37:58 PM:darren kurn
Option Explicit is probably the most important single line of code that any VB programmer will ever use, as it does not allow for any mistakes such as Typos. Another thing that many programmers could do with is learning to name their variables properly. (what does X mean in these programs!) a good method is (for instance) if you are defining an integer, use i as the first letter of the variable (for instance iMynum). this makes programs so much easier to debug!
Reason:

6/27/2003 9:35:00 PM:
I've always wanted to get used to typing that but I always forget man. Thanks for teaching me that Tools.. Options.. thingy!!
Reason:

6/27/2003 10:17:06 PM:Patabugen-
Thanks! This is great stuff i had no idea what it did so i never put it in. ill get it to do it auto instead now =] hehe Thanx! 5* Visualcode > if this dude hadnt posted this "copy" then i still wouldnt use it. so it does help dosnt it. Shock > im a newb n im glad i read it.
Reason:

6/27/2003 10:17:57 PM:Masino Sinaga
I agree with Neophyte, just say: Amen! Stop debating about Option Explicit. If you don't need it, leave it. If you need it, write it down. All you have to do just say: Amen! Let's appreciate anything that has been posted by anyone. Thanks to Jim K for teaching about Option Explicit. I appreciate it.
Reason:

6/27/2003 10:27:36 PM:G Nelson
You use of newbie is offensive, so let me enlighten you newbie. Many Dictionaries define the term is as a variant of the English public school term, new boy. Such as, someone in the first year or period of school. The term predates the Web, computers, and even World War II. Bottom line is it may apply to people new to VB and then again it may not.
Reason:

6/27/2003 10:44:29 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
Uhhhh Uh huh-huh-huh-huh... Option Explicit id cool... I use it when writing a program, but when I'm finished and the program compiles without errors, I then delete it cause its kinda a waste to have it there after everything runs, like, good and stuff... It like, uhhhh... saves precious memory and stuff.. Uh huh-huh-huh. Heh-heh. Huh.
Reason:

6/27/2003 10:45:45 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
"Newbie"... Heh Heh-heh-heh-huh
Reason:

6/28/2003 1:20:14 AM:Visualcode
Keith Stanier I do use Option Explicit my point was simply that there are enough articles on this.
Reason:

6/28/2003 2:35:42 AM:Jonathan P. Ivy
I would never call Option Explicit st*pid, however you and you're article are expressly st*pid in the fact that you see all those that do not use option explicit as newbies. This only shows you're conceit. Insults such as this only stand to hurt how others percieve you. It is like Bush calling Suddam evil. It merely shows pride. You should delete this post, and don't submit a non-code submission like this again.
Reason:

6/28/2003 4:16:57 AM:Jim K
P. Ivy, If you see this posting or me who posted it as st*pid, i wouldn't lose my sleep over it :) I posted it cause i wanted to enlighten the beginners. As you can see from some of the feedbacks, it have helped a couple of guys already and that was the main purpose, not to start a fight with people like you. That is what's a waste of time, space and st*pid. Go get some fresh air. To G Nelson. I did not use newbie as an offencive expression. I normally use beginner, but since it has become so common here on psc i did not think much of that. I do appologize to those who find it offending. It was never ment to be.
Reason:

6/28/2003 5:13:12 AM:Dream
Jim, dont appologize, and for the ones that flame... just delete. Personally I didnt know about the auto setting so Im going to check it out!
Reason:

6/28/2003 5:14:21 AM:Dream
hmm and its right there!!! lmao
Reason:

6/28/2003 7:06:16 AM:Danny Cain
This is Lame. No offence, but I've been keeping track of my own variables since QBasic. I don't need to option explicit anything. It is just a tool used by newbs or people too lazy to remember what variables are declared and what are not. This submission is a waste of space." Obviously someone who NEVER makes typos :P
Reason:

6/28/2003 12:26:29 PM:Haru Glory
Don't blame Jim if you've already know this. Well, i think this is not a waste of space. This code is for beginners so don't expect too much. I used Option Explicit always to make my code more clear. Danny Cain, am not a newbs and am not lazy, i have my own reasons why am using this code. In short, for those people who used Option Expicit are newbs and lazy :|
Reason:

6/28/2003 1:43:43 PM:Nathanael B
I have had this enabled from the beginning and it's saved me a whole lot of trouble. The author is correct, most downloads here on PSC don't have Option Explicit stated. People need to know about this! (5 globes from me)
Reason:

6/28/2003 2:34:57 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
Jim, here's the code I used to 3rate your code: Option Explicit Dim I as Integer Private Sub Form_Load() Randomize(-1) I=Int(rnd*5) +1 Debug.?"Jim, you get ";I;" globes!" End Sub Thanks to Option Explicit, the program ran perfectly. Unfortunately for you it gave you only 2 globes. Maybe you could suggest a way to improve this program so that it give you more globes next time.
Reason:

6/28/2003 3:04:03 PM:Jim K
Brian M A, Suggestion :) Option Explicit Private Sub Form_Load() Dim i As Integer Randomize (1) i = Int(Rnd * 5) + 2 Debug.Print "Jim, you get "; i; " globes!" End Sub I guess this one gives a 5. right?? :) PS! I never been here for the votes. Feedbacks are appreciated though. You gave yours. Thanks !
Reason:

6/28/2003 5:48:48 PM:Burbble
Ok, PSC just deleted my previous comment as I was trying to submit it. Basically: Option Explicit is a waste of time, space, and energy. I have been programming for three years, and I have NEVER used it. Why would I WANT to declare EVERY variable when VB will do it for me? Using it just forces you to spend more time declaring every stuÞid little variable. Also, submissions that lack "Option Explicit" do NOT show an unexperienced programmer; on the contrary, it shows an experienced one who does not need to be reminded to declare every variable. Lastly, to avoid the comment/question in the future: No, I have never typed the name of a variable incorrectly and caused a huge "why won't it work" problem.
Reason:

6/28/2003 6:21:45 PM:Coding Genius
People who speak like that are just ignorant. I bet if you go look through your programs you'll find tons of slow, large variants. Especially mr ''Why would I WANT to declare EVERY variable when VB will do it for me'' there....who is wondering why is applications are so huge, slow and memory consuming. Every other popular language in the world requires you to declare variables (C, C++, Java, Delphi, Cobol, Pascal, ADA) except VB. Obviously mr '' I have been programming for three years'' up there hasn't tried any other languages then.
Reason:

6/28/2003 9:20:47 PM:Jim K
To you normal human beings. Thanks for your support on my posting.
Reason:

6/28/2003 10:04:18 PM:Marzo Sette Torres Junior
(sorry for this, Burbble, but I can't resist) Not using Option Explicit is a waste of time, space, and energy. I have been programming for eight years, and I have ALWAYS used it. Why would I WANT to declare EVERY variable when VB will do it for me? Not using it just forces you to spend more time tracking down every stuÞid little typo; also, all undeclared variables are variants, which are (1) slow, (2) slow, (3) slow and (4) large (1 variant = 4 longs, and they can be 16 times as slower depending on what you do). Also, submissions that lack "Option Explicit" are a trademark of the unexperienced programmer; that is right, it shows a progrmammer who does not know how LARGE and ssssslllllooooowwwww variants are, nor that not declaring variables will force variants upon the program. Lastly, to avoid the comment/question in the future: Yes, I have in many occasions typed the name of a variable incorrectly and caused a huge "why won't it work" problem; after all, I am only human.
Reason:

6/29/2003 2:05:52 AM:Haru Glory
I'm going to give this 5 globes bec. it helps a lot for those people who don't know this. I recommend to all of you to use Option Explicit ALWAYSSSSSS.
Reason:

6/29/2003 5:23:40 AM:Mil-X Pro
Try to think why VB has "Option Explicit" option, there must be something useful using it. And IMHO, a good programmer has to use every function etc that the programming langguage provide in his programming practice. Especially when sharing code with other programmer, it help your mate a lot. And you have nothing to loose. Someone has to tell others the good thing he knew, even if it is a waste to somebody.
Reason:

6/29/2003 5:41:41 AM:sabugen
I think not using Option Explicit can optimize your code (variable checks etc.). Just make sure, you type your variables correctly.. try coding with option explicit, then when you finish coding and checking your app, remove the Option Explicit line then compile,
Reason:

6/29/2003 6:24:52 AM:Coding Genius
how does it possible optimize your code by NOT using it? RoFL! Option explicit is a Compiler Directive. It's never built into the final exe. It just simpy tells the compiler how you want it to behave. Without it, all those undeclared variables are actually declared as variants in the final exe, just as if you wrote them yourself. With option explicit, all those undeclared variables won't let you compile your program. Now, before you comment and say something so stup1d, please research if first.
Reason:

6/29/2003 6:26:05 AM:Coding Genius
Also, I've never seen any code which I consider truly the work of an experienced programer that doesn't use option explicit. Just go look in the hall of fame for projects which don't have option explicit in them.
Reason:

6/29/2003 6:27:30 AM:Coding Genius
Some of you are practically saying ''Hey man! I don't need no option explicit. I'm experienced enough to not have to care about data types! And I never ever make typo's'' <- Wake da fuk up and smell the coconut crunch.
Reason:

6/29/2003 8:08:36 AM:Burbble
For i = 0 to 9 List1.AddItem i Next i Who wants to declare 'i'?
Reason:

6/29/2003 10:08:23 AM:Burbble
Also, in response to Coding Genius and Marzo Sette Torres Junior: I realize that Variants are 'slower' and larger. They are a few bits larger, and infinitessimally slower. Using undeclared variables on For/Next loops, does not create a sluggish and enormously sized program (in fact, it doesn't change the size of the executable at all...) . I declare every variable that the program is processing information from (that's just common sense). And to repeat again: I have never made a careless mistake as to type the name of a variable wrong and start panicking about "why won't my program work"... I read the code as I'm typing it... I noticed that I said I've been programming for three years; this is incorrect, it is actually almost six years that I've been programming in VB and HTML. I've also done some in C++, PERL, and JavaScript.
Reason:

6/29/2003 11:09:49 AM:Marzo Sette Torres Junior
By what you say, you are the editor I would hire if I were to write a book; if you never make typoes, you must be *really* good at finding them (inhumanly good, in fact), and are definitelly the person I would have finding typoes in books. Large books. Of course I'd sue if a single typo got past you, for false advertisement. Seriously, it appears (sorry if this impression is wrong) that you have never programmed a really large program... I have, and such typoes are inevitable. I have always read the program as I wrote and again after I'm done writing... but sometimes, something slips; Option Explicit catches them. Also, the difference in speed and size between variants and other variables is indeed formidable in (1) larger projects (not to mention games...), (2) complicated procedures that are harder to break up and (3) procedures that will be called a couple thousand times per second. It makes all the difference between "untorelably slow" and "blazing fast".
Reason:

6/29/2003 2:07:37 PM:Burbble
First, I have written many incredibly large programs. The largest program I've submitted to PSC is probably either Weather Grabber or Burbble's Slideshow Maker. Other, more complex programs I have written I cannot submit because of copyright issues. Obviously, a small amount of typos is a given when writing large amounts of anything. However, I am extremely anal when it comes to writing anything, and I make sure it is grammatically correct (I've probably revised this comment a dozen times already!). Also, you should definitely declare any variable being read from or written to hundreds of times or more, and the speed difference of the application will be seen. The only variables that I don't declare when I'm writing something is if I write a simple (not something complex, intricate, and repetitive) For/Next loop (i.e. For i = 0 to 9 ... Next i ). Basically, all I am saying is that using Option Explicit creates more hassle than it is worth.
Reason:

6/29/2003 6:22:06 PM:Marzo Sette Torres Junior
So... basically, you are saying that Option Explicit being on your projects would only make you declare a few loop variables here and there because you already declare everything else. Since Option Explicit can be automatically added to every code module by clicking a checkbox, having it on would make you declare a few variables here and there that you wouldn't otherwise; where is the hassle? Most of the time, declaring variables is faster than writing the code of any but the smallest routines, and the added benefit (that you will never have to worry about typoes again, having much more time to think of the actual code) will more than overshadow the need to declare all variables. In a way, Option Explicit will give a slight increase in productivity because you don't need to triple-check every line of code to see if it contains typos: it actually saves (IME) time and energy.
Reason:

6/29/2003 7:33:34 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
LÖL Option Explicit creates more "problems" than its worth?!? LÖL! Yeah it obviously took a lot of effort to type a whole 14 letters and a space to boot. By comparison, your comments on how much of a "Waste of time" Option Explicit is took far more letters than 14! Even a simple "For I = 0 to 9... Next I" loop consumes a load of time if it is nested within several other For...Next loops. You can't be considered an expert programmer if you don't use option explicit. Sure if the program is a few hundred lines and speed is not a big deal you don't really need it, but you are a true Äss if you think it doesn't matter for large programs. You probably do what I do but aren't man enough to admit it - write the program with option explicit in, debug till it works, then delete it out at the end before uploading. You save like 15 bytes of space on your upload - big whoop.
Reason:

6/30/2003 9:10:31 AM:Burbble
Actually, I have never, ever, once used Option Explicit for even a fraction of a second in anything even remotely related to VB. In response to "You can't be considered an expert programmer if you don't use option explicit.": That is one of the most rediculous statements I've ever heard. Option Explicit just provides a "helping hand", you might say, to prevent you from typing things incorrectly. If you don't have this problem, then you don't need to bother with Option Explicit. It has NOTHING to do with how experienced a programmer is. Actually, the amount of typos and incorrectly declared variables would be the signs of a more inexperienced programmer, and NOT the use of a superfluous compiler directive! LOOK: If you want to use Option Explicit because you are worried about making mistakes, then FINE! Use it! If you don't, then DON'T! WHO CARES?!
Reason:

6/30/2003 9:38:28 AM:Dream
You do!
Reason:

6/30/2003 11:17:05 AM:Cpvio
hehe**Smirk**
Reason:

6/30/2003 6:34:24 PM:Burbble
lol
Reason:

6/30/2003 8:22:07 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
Burbble, you spelled "ridiculous" as "rediculous". This leads me to wonder if you meant to spell your name as "Bubble" instead of "Burbble". Maybe you should think twice about Option Explicit, hmmm??? No offense to your self-proclaimed programming abilities, which I'm sure are as vast as your imagination allows for, but its like Coding Genius said, "Just go look in the hall of fame for projects which don't have option explicit in them."
Reason:

7/1/2003 7:57:04 AM:Burbble
<b>Oh no!</b> I spelled <font size="14">RIDICULOUS</font> wrong in a comment I typed in less than a minute!!! <b>Whatever shall we do!!</b> And... <b>LOL</b>I didn't spell my NAME wrong! It's supposed to be BURBBLE... hence the burbble@hotmail.com.... <b>LOL</b>! I am not proclaiming my programming abilities, just my acuracy at typing code and variable names correctly (I've never used "ridiculous" and a variable name.)
Reason:

7/1/2003 7:57:33 AM:Burbble
LOL It's stopping HTML code now!!
Reason:

7/1/2003 7:57:54 AM:Burbble
Ahh... It's too early for this
Reason:

7/1/2003 7:10:16 PM:Brian Matthew Anderson
I think "acuracy" is really supposed to be spelled "accuracy". You know Bubble (misspelling intended), it is really too easy to debunk your programming philosophy. The point is, you make common typing or spelling errors even in your 50 word responses defending your inhuman ability to never make a typo when declaring variables. C'mon Bubble, enough with the deleterious replies. If everyone really bought in to your way of programming, I'd need a 3 Ghz computer to run Donkey Kong.
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.