program,zelda,clone,made,learn,tilemaps,very,
Quick Search for:  in language:    
program,zelda,clone,made,learn,tilemaps,very,
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
C/ C++ Stats

Code: 485,557 lines
 Jobs: 1,067 postings

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for C/ C++.
mini math programs
By Johno on 10/24

The matrix
By Alcodes on 10/24

Palindrome Finder
By Jonathan Volk on 10/24

processor identification and info
By Razvan Petrescu on 10/24

Login Interface using ncurses for Linux
By Suvoraj Biswas on 10/24

Matrix Encryption Algorithm
By Tony Fecteau on 10/23

SMALL TEXT GAME
By cJ! on 10/23

stod
By Mark Jundo P. Documento on 10/23

Basic Loops
By richard james on 10/23

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

The Legend of Zelduh (with level editor)

Print
Email

Submitted on: 11/2/2001 4:11:23 PM
By: Joseph Harvey  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 14 Users
Compatibility:C++ (general), Microsoft Visual C++

Users have accessed this article 6361 times.

(About the author)

This program is a zelda clone that I made to learn how to use tilemaps. It's a very fun game! Be sure to play with the level editor! Instructions are included in a word document if you need help! Lost Side Dead!!!!!! www.lostsidedead.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
All characters/projectiles on the screen are of type "entity". The only difference between the controllable character and the enemies is that the player character's actions are defined by your keyboard input, and the enemies move random distances in random directions and attack randomly. (also, the player character can only shoot fireballs with full health) There are 5 types of enemies: The Snake: Beware of the boulders he launches! The Poo-Monster: His bile will burn you! The Archer: Master of archery The Blinking Eye: His icky eye-gunk will make you ill The Grub: 40 in hand, he shows his disrespect for your mad skill by spitting on you! Zelduh has somehow gotten trapped among these fiends... You must save her! The game project is called "neo hardcore warrior" which was my generic title when I started, and the level editor project is called "legend of nameless" since I still wasn't sure what to call it at the time =P Here is the game and source code on the Lost Side Dead website. Legend of Zelduh

Other 6 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
11/2/2001 4:20:57 PM:Vulcan
I love it :-)
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

11/2/2001 4:38:20 PM:Joseph Harvey
My friends at school had fun playing this, I hope you people enjoy it too =D
Reason:

11/2/2001 5:20:27 PM:Joseph Harvey
remember, zelduh is somewhere in the level waiting for you to save her!
Reason:

11/2/2001 7:05:34 PM:Neeko
A great piece of programming Ive seen here, The roots of this style of programming have alot of potential for being very organized and efficient style of coding. This style will show its good side when this persons programs become larger in size. Excellent work!
Reason:

11/2/2001 9:47:42 PM:Mike L.G.
Great game joseph. Although I would have to disagree with Neeko. If this were a much bigger project I think it may be harder to manage let alone maintain. There are magic numbers everywhere (which can become a true nightmare on so many levels) and you are performing no error checks on your DirectDraw functions and method calls. At the very least you should check for a return of DD_OK. DirectX can become extremely irritable on some machines. I also believe that no matter how small your classes are, you should always separate the declaration from the definition. i.e. ( declarations should go into a separate .h file, and definitions should into an implementation file .cpp ). I am going to kick myself later because I know at times I should be taking my own advice. This is just my experience from working on several large projects. I hope I did not offend anybody. It really is a cool game.
Reason:

11/3/2001 11:04:49 AM:Joseph Harvey
It's cool man, that's good advice. I was planning on tailoring my code nicely once I fleshed out the majority of the game, but I decided not to in the end because of time issues... If I was worried about making excuses for poor programming practice, I wouldn't have submitted this program in this state. Thanks for your comments though =)
Reason:

11/5/2001 11:28:18 AM:jmiller
i really like the level editor. it works swell.
Reason:

11/5/2001 4:18:23 PM:Joseph Harvey
Heck yeah, be sure to play around with monster placement. It's fun to put down huge mobs of monsters in tight areas =D
Reason:

11/29/2001 9:01:37 PM:Cless
Great game Joeseph! The Level editor rules! The code is nicely written as well. The enemies are humorous and nicely drawn. I especially like the poo monster and archer!
Reason:

11/29/2001 9:13:22 PM:Joseph Harvey
A friend of mine most of the sprites. Their names are mentioned in the "Game Instructions" word file included with the code. Don't forget to vote people!!!!!!
Reason:

1/4/2002 2:44:17 PM:okiedokie
um, maybe i missed it somewhere but how did you guys play the game, when i compile it, i get a bunch of errors, oh well, the game looks cool anyway
Reason:

1/4/2002 11:15:07 PM:afsa
asf
Reason:

1/4/2002 11:18:40 PM:help
hello, i tried to run your code but it gave me a whole bunch of error. I think it is something to do with this LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 Could u please tell me how i can run it??? thanks
Reason:

1/5/2002 1:37:12 AM:Joseph Harvey
perhaps you don't have the direct x SDK installed in the same place that I did. First of all, do you have direct 7 or higher?
Reason:

1/11/2002 11:21:35 PM:tim
i cant get it to download, the www.lostside.com link doesnt work and neither does the link off PSCode
Reason:

1/11/2002 11:22:00 PM:tim
www.lostsidedead.com*
Reason:

1/15/2002 8:50:52 PM:Jared Bruni
site was down for a few days, the link is fixed
Reason:

8/1/2002 2:22:52 PM:x_darkdude_x
this game is pritty cool dude make a full 1 i bet u could :>
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | C/ C++ Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.