Quick Search for:  in language:    
tutorial,explains,plain,english,create,real,t
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
C/ C++ Stats

Code: 637,309. lines
 Jobs: 71. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for C/ C++.
Smart Multiples
By Hassan A. on 7/25

Sokoban 3D
By Paulo Jorente - aka JungleBoy on 7/25

ParseDirectory
By Simon Hutchison on 7/25

tic_tac_toe 1.0
By Mitchel Seton jr. on 7/25

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Rocket Drawer
By Drew Phillips on 7/25

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Math Tutor
By Drew Phillips on 7/25

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Asteroids 1.0
By Gasper Rajsek on 7/24

(Screen Shot)

Game ver 1.0
By Syed Zahid Ali on 7/24

Complete Link list Program
By Syed Yasir Imtiaz on 7/24

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Make a Simple Text or Graphical Operating System

Print
Email

Submitted on: 8/4/2002 12:28:53 AM
By: Matt Carpenter 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 26 Users
Compatibility:C

Users have accessed this article 14175 times.

(About the author)

This tutorial explains in plain english how to create a real text or graphical Operating System that can be booted from a floppy. Source Code and compiling tools included (Link Fixed). Source code is in C and assembly. Vote if you like it, thanks ;-)

This article has accompanying files

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
Writing a Simple Text Or Graphical OS in C and ASM
Complete Source code included in Zip!

In this small tutorial, you will learn how to make a small REAL Operating System that
you can boot off of a floppy! After reading this tutorial, you will have a small understanding
of how an OS works and how to create your own. Before we start coding though, I'll have to explain
some things about how they work. BTW, read the legal stuff at the bottom

Bootloader
All Operating systems have to be loaded some how. This is done by a bootloader.
A bootloader is a small raw binary program that sits in the first sector of a disk (floppy disk for our OS)
When a computer boots, it checks for a bootloader in the first sector of the floppy.
If a bootloader is present, the computer will execute it. A bootloader isn't very complicated;
All it has to do is load the kernel (the 'main operating system executable') into the RAM so the
computer can run it. I won't be going over the bootloader here,
but I have the source (and the binary) for the bootloader included on the attached ZIP file :)

CPU Modes
The CPU can run in a few different 'modes'. These modes determin how the operating system can
access memory and resources. The first mode is called 'Real Mode'. If you kernel is running in
real mode, you have almost unlimited access to the RAM UP TO 1 Megabyte. This isn't that great. When
your computer starts up, it starts in this 'real mode'. This is fine if you are making a simple kernel
but if you want to make a nice operating system, making your CPU enter a 'protected mode' is a better
idea. When your CPU is in protected mode, access to memory is limited so you (or other programs) dont
screw with it. Running in protected mode will make your operating system more stable. In protected
mode, you can also access up to 4 GB of ram (if you have that much ). Our operating system will run in
protected mode because our bootloader sets it up for us ;) Ok, almost to the code!

Interrupts
There are 2 different types of interrupts.
1) Software Interrupt: Kind of like a 'function' that resides in the BIOS. These are used
   often to do simple tasks like set video modes, or requesting data from the BIOS
2) Hardware interrupts: These are a bit different. A hardware interrupt is something that 'calls a function'
   in your code when something happens (when a key is pressed, etc...).
Interrupts are a great way of communicating with the computer's hardware, but they can
only be used in real mode. If you try to call an interrupt in protected mode, you will crash your
OS. There ARE some special ways to get around this problem though (which I wont talk about here
because they still confuse me!)

OK, We are going to make our operating system in assembly language and c. Click Here to download the tools needed
to compile and link your Operating system.
I couldn't include them with the zip here on PSC
because exe's are automaticaly deleted.

Our 'main' function is going to be in our assembly code. (Don't worry, its only a few lines of code!)
What this code does is call a function from our C file (which will be linked to this when compiled).

; Note: Semicolens are comments in Assembly (ASM)

[bits 32] ;Make our OS 32bit

SECTION .text

EXTERN _c_main ;Reference to our main function in the c code.
;Note that our function in C starts with an underscore (_)
;This is because when we compile our C file, functions are started with
;underscores. THis is not so for ASM files though.

start:
call _c_main ;This calls our main function in the C file
jmp $ ;Freezes the computer because theres nowhere else to go!

Save that code as 'kernel.asm'. Make a 'kernel_c.c' and put this code in it:

char message[]="Hello From Our First Operating System!";

int c_main(void) {
//Notice there is no underscore infront // of our c_main function.
//This is because the compiler automatic // aly puts it there for us ;)

char *source = message; //Pointer to our message we will print to the screen
char *destination = (char *)0xB8000; //Pointer to the text video memory

while (*source) {
*destination++ = *source++; //Add 1 to the vid. memory offset, and save a character to it
*destination++ = 7; } //Set the color of that character.
return 0;
}

That simple Kernel displays the message 'hello from our first operating system'
Now, lets compile this code.
Compile the ASM code like this:
NASM -f coff kernel.asm
That should create an output file called kernel.o

Compile our C code like this:
gcc -O3 -c kernel_c.c
That will output a kernel_c.o

Link the 2 files like this:
ld -Ttext 0xFF800000 --oformat binary -o kernel.bin kernel.o kernel_c.o
You should get a warning that says it cant find the entry symbol start. This is what you want ;)
Linking those produces a flat binary called kernel.bin
This is your operating system.
Copy this to a normal FAT formatted floppy drive. Now, copy the compiled bootloader (included
in the zip that comes with this tutorial) using the partcopy program that I I gave the link to up there
Use partcopy like this to copy the bootloader to your floppy:
PARTCOPY bootf.bin 0 3 -f0 0
PARTCOPY bootf.bin 3E 1C2 -f0 3E

This copies the bootloader to the first sector of your floppy drive.

Boot your floppy (not now). There's still more tutorial here! Now, I will explain how to put graphics
into your little OS!

Before we can start with graphics though, you have to use an interrupt to set the graphics mode.
Open up the bootloader source (bootf.asm) that is included in the zip thats attached to this tutorial
Go down to 'Start:'
underneath start, put the follwoing code in:
sti ;Enable Interrupts
mov ax, 13h ;Video Mode 13h (19)
int 10h ;Call video services interrupt to set the video mode.

Recompile it like this:
NASM -f obj -l bootf.lst bootf.asm
JLOC bootf.lnk bootf.bin
Note: you must have the JLOC linker (this is also included in the tools zip I gave you the link to up there)

Use the partcopy commands up there again to copy the new bootf.bin to the bootsector of the floppy.
Now, change your C code to this:

int SetPixel(int x, int y, int color);
int main(void) {
typedef unsigned char byte;
byte *VGA = (byte *)0xA0000; //This gives you a pointer to the graphics video memory

int x;
int y;
for(y=0;y<201;y++) {
for(x=0;x<321;x++) {
SetPixel(x,y,x); //Plot a pixel
}

int SetPixel(int x, int y, int color) {
VGA[320*y+x]=color; //This plots a pixel at x,y
};

There. Compile this C code as before, link it as before, then copy the new kernel.bin to the floppy drive!
This code will fill the screen with colors!

Hope this helps you making your own Operating System now!

Some cool OS dev links are:
OS Kernel Message Board
Another OS Development Site
Google- lol- the best
Some IRC chat channels:
#osdev on irc.openprojects.org
#asm on openprojects
#asm on EFnet

If you really liked this, Please rate me ;)

I'm tired now. Its like 11 PM. I also cant write much more because I filled up my 14 GB harddrive lol.

legal stuff: I am not responsible if this stuff messes up your computer in any way! (It shouldn't though. I've never
heard of anybody having any problems with this kind of stuff...)

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzipto decompress it.

Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses,but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them.

FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

Other 2 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
8/4/2002 1:45:10 AM:Matt Carpenter
Please rate it if you like it! Thanks
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

8/4/2002 2:00:16 AM:Abdel Jabbar Baig
Pretty good tutorial to start with! I liked the part that you combined C and Assembly where most tutorials just talk about writing the Kernel and the Bootloader only in ASM. You should almost tell in which line of code you changed to protected mode;) Also, if you were to use C++ instead of C, the function names will be mangled very differently. A function won't just have an underscore in front of it so this way your ASM code won't work. Overall great beginner tutorial(to start writting an OS)!
Reason:

8/4/2002 4:14:48 AM:Matthew Li (mazzanet)
I like it! Have a look at mine: http://mazzanetos.sourceforge.net It is open-source and uses nasm, jloc, copyboot and gcc. If you know alot of C++ or asm join our development team.
Reason:

8/4/2002 11:12:08 AM:Matt Carpenter
I've looked at your mazzanet OS before. Pretty cool ;)
Reason:

8/4/2002 5:17:18 PM:Simon
Sweet article man that was awesome
Reason:

8/4/2002 5:57:54 PM:Matthew Li (mazzanet)
At the moment on MazzanetOS, we are writing a text editor and a GUI.
Reason:

8/5/2002 9:24:10 PM:KDDFLX
Hey, i think you forgot something in your code(both): for the assembler, the boot sector must be 512 bytes long, the size of a sector, which it probably isnt, AND, you left the bootsector signature - Awwwsomething, i forget. anyways, without theise two things, the boot sector wont work and with some cases, wont be saved to the first sector
Reason:

8/5/2002 9:27:15 PM:KDDFLX
Ok, i got what I need. This was taken from bootf on your zip. and it has what your asm code doesnt: resb 0x1FE+$$-$ This makes the file 512 bytes long db 0x55, 0xAA This is the Boot signature I hope this helps people who are having problems with this code
Reason:

8/5/2002 10:17:52 PM:Matt Carpenter
my code in the tutorial isn't a bootsector. the bootf thats in my zip is the bootsector and it DOES assemble to 512 bytes...
Reason:

8/8/2002 2:59:12 AM:Matthew Li (mazzanet)
just a note, bootsector code actually has to be 496 bytes. this allows for 16 bytes for disk related data. in some cases the bootsector code can be 512 bytes, but i won't go into that......
Reason:

8/16/2002 1:44:29 AM:Anthony
I love this article even though i cant get it to work, can someone help me im still fairly new at this and dont understand how to complie the code. PLEASE HELP
Reason:

8/16/2002 5:42:37 PM:Matt Carpenter
I just sent you an email. It should help :)
Reason:

8/19/2002 12:28:08 AM:eliscool
I really liked this tutorial, mainly cause I dont know asm yet (im going to start learning it soon) and it walked you through everything whereas others didnt, anyway I really dont wanna work in mode 13h, its just to limiting, so how can I increase the res, bit depth etc? or is this just a whole other back 0 cats? eg writing vid card drivers? anyway, do you know of any good sites about this sortof thing?
Reason:

8/19/2002 11:43:38 AM:Sachin G
hey matt,nice work done man.... can u please forward the email about compiling this thing to me along with some links or tutorials/name of books which u think can help a beginner like me to get deep into this....thanks
Reason:

8/19/2002 6:13:25 PM:Matt Carpenter
NOTE TO ALL: If you are having troubble with GCC, download DJGPP (its free). Should save you alot of time :)
Reason:

8/20/2002 12:58:13 AM:Lee Trager
Very nice tutorial. You should now write something on file systems ;)
Reason:

8/20/2002 4:33:58 AM:Sushain Pandit
HI MATT. I AM TOTALLY NEW TO THESE O.S. STUFFS. I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE IF U WOULD PLEASE MAIL ME THE STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE ON HOW TO COMPILE THE CODE. ALSO, PLEASE MENTION WHEN TO USE WHICH FILE AND COMPILER. AGAIN, I WOULD BE HIGHLY GRATEFUL TO U IF I WAS ABLE TO COMPILE IT. PLEASE DO ME THIS FAVOUR. THANKS IN ADVANCE. BYE.
Reason:

8/20/2002 9:58:59 AM:Sachin G
thanks for the email matt...i really appreciate that..good luck for the contest
Reason:

8/21/2002 1:24:29 PM:tommacco
Nice job, it's always helpful to have something basic to go by when creating a new project, 5 big ones
Reason:

8/25/2002 1:10:46 PM:Oli
Cool ! My dream come true! but do you know a way tu include header file like stdio.h for make it easier! email me please !!!!
Reason:

8/29/2002 5:43:45 PM:Frederico Machado
I really want to see this code working, but the I couldn't download the tools by the link in the brinkster page. Please, can you help me with this Matt? Can you send me the file by e-mail?? fredisoft@terra.com.br Thank you very much. I cant wait to get it to work.
Reason:

8/29/2002 5:45:39 PM:Frederico Machado
My site on Brinkster isn't working too... Is it a problem in the server?
Reason:

9/3/2002 1:32:41 PM:
hmmmmmmm, thats fine
Reason:

9/28/2002 7:28:21 PM:
didn't like it. the compiler kept complaining about DJGPP not being properly installed, and i tried properly installing it, and it got onto the wrong drive and it didn't even put any files there.
Reason:

9/30/2002 5:13:47 PM:Steve Mack
Yeah the kernel_c.c won't compile for me, something about not installed properly :(
Reason:

10/1/2002 5:26:54 PM:Coding Genius
Great tutorial man. I got as far as having a kernel.Bin on my floppy disk. I can't get that boot sector on. I couldn't find bootf.bin in the download. I saw bootf.asm and bootf.lnk and also makeboot.bat, but it wouldn't create it...errors. Can you do me a huge favour and send me bootf.bin (imgonnadothingsmyway@hotmail.com)
Reason:

10/1/2002 6:18:20 PM:Coding Genius
Just here to let you all know. I found compilatio instructions at the bottom of bootf.asm, followed them on my own and I can now verify that this really does work! Amazing! 5 G's. It took me many hours trying to get the GCC compiler, figure out command lines, get right files...but it's worth it just to see it boot and work! I think I have to go wipe away a tear now :)
Reason:

11/11/2002 8:25:31 AM:
Hey matt thanks for the tutorial it's better than the rest I've seen... Just a couple of questions: /nIn the gfx part I typed it all in as per but then when I link it i get the message "undefined reference to _SetPixel". So I tried putting EXTERN _SetPixel in kernel.asm but to no avail. Any clues? Keep writing ; )
Reason:

12/14/2002 8:44:13 PM:Ark
Hello Matt! Your article seems to be popular even in VB area (though by another author) :) http://www.planet-source-code.com/ vb/scripts/showcode.asp?txtCodeId=41529& lngWId=1 Regards Ark
Reason:

12/31/2002 3:18:15 PM:
Great Tutorial!! However when i try to make kernel.bin i get an error message that says there is a undefined refrence to _c_main. ld.exe: warning: cannot find entry symbol start; defaulting to ff800000 kernel.o(.text+0x1):kernel.asm : undefined reference to `_c_main' can you please help me!
Reason:

12/31/2002 3:20:04 PM:
great article!! However when i try to link the files and make the kenrel.bin i get an error saying there is a undefined refrence to _c_main. ld.exe: warning: cannot find entry symbol start; defaulting to ff800000 kernel.o(.text+0x1):kernel.asm : undefined reference to `_c_main' can you please tell me why its undefined?
Reason:

2/15/2003 12:54:42 AM:Matt Carpenter
Sorry, havn't been around psc lately, my only idea is that you might not be linking the compiled object that was made from the c file :-/
Reason:

2/23/2003 4:45:54 AM:
Help! I cant get the ld -Ttext 0xFF800000 --oformat binary -o kernel.bin kernel.o kernel_c.o line to work. Please E-mail it to me
Reason:

3/21/2003 6:56:04 AM:
When you get the error: "ld.exe: warning: cannot find entry symbol start; defaulting to ff800000 kernel.o(.text+0x1):kernel.asm : undefined reference to `_c_main' " Check the target file formats in your compile stage. The output formats of NASM and gcc (or djgpp) have to match (or at least ld needs to be informed of the individual formats). Try having NASM output in aout format like so: NASM -f aout kernel.asm -o kernel.o
Reason:

4/5/2003 4:07:09 PM:Alexander Borgerth
good work, this was amazing.... 5globes
Reason:

4/22/2003 9:33:49 AM:Subliminal
The link for the tools needed is broken, could you send me the zip someone or other urls were i can get all the tools (micropedia@hotmail.com)
Reason:

4/23/2003 3:28:29 PM:Subliminal
For the C code that makes it graphical I had to use: typedef unsigned char byte; byte *VGA = (byte *)0xA0000; //This gives you a pointer to the graphics video memory int SetPixel(int x, int y, int color); int main(void) { int x; int y; for(y=0;y<201;y++) { for(x=0;x<321;x++) { SetPixel(x,y,x); //Plot a pixel } } } int SetPixel(int x, int y, int color) { VGA[320*y+x]=color; //This plots a pixel at x,y }; Otherwise gcc gave me errors, but it works fine now
Reason:

4/23/2003 8:17:42 PM:
the command ld -Ttext 0xFF800000 --oformat binary -o kernel.bin kernel.o kernel_c.o does not seem to work for me. I get the error:
Reason:

4/23/2003 8:19:41 PM:
I'm having a bit of a problem compiling the source. I am able to compile using nasm and gcc but when I try to link them I get an error: "kernel.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized". I've tried using "NASM -f aout kernel.asm -o kernel.o" to no avail. I'm compiling the source on my FreeBSD box but I really don't see why this would make a difference.
Reason:

5/10/2003 9:58:34 PM:
the link to the tools doesn't work - please send to me at tytanic11@comcast.net thanks
Reason:

5/16/2003 3:43:46 AM:
change the kernel.asm from EXTERN _c_main to EXTERN c_main and call _c_main to call c_main it will fix the problem: undefined reference to `_c_main' then complie NASM -f aout kernel.asm -o kernel.o you need aout i belive... i complie it in linux and coff wont allow me to link the files together I got the error "File format not recognized" when i try to link the files together when i compile it using coff Then Just link. That all... It work for me after thoose changes. Oh yeah one more thing ld dont work well for me in windows. If you are having problem.. send me a mail razifhoe@yahoo.com ps: I did not do the graphic version, so please dont ask me about it.
Reason:

5/27/2003 6:28:39 PM:
The links broken could yu plz update it or send the files to thedarkone_2003@hotmail.com plz.... realy wana have a go a making an os
Reason:

6/5/2003 6:55:53 PM:Richard Sullivan
yea, your link to the tools is broken. maybe you can post a new one.
Reason:

6/16/2003 1:06:19 AM:
really want to see this code working, but the I couldn't download the tools by the link in the brinkster page. Please, can you help me with this Matt? Can you send me the file by e-mail?? (ace_nee@yahoo.com)Thank you very much. I cant wait to get it to work.
Reason:

6/29/2003 3:48:15 PM:Matt Carpenter
TO ALL WHO CAN'T FIND THE TOOLS LINK: Brinkster has deleted my account and I DO have a real host right now, but I lost my zip. Here's the tools that you'll need: DJGPP (more specificaly gcc) JLoc ( a linker) Partcopy (copies files to floppies) NASM (assembler) LD (a linker, I THINK it comes with djgpp) I think thats all, if you're still having problems please email me :)
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | C/ C++ Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.